forced c-section......

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
search "woman compares forced c-section to rape" to find this story. the copied link wont work for some reason...

Joy Szabo, 32, is about to give birth, but the only hospital in her area is insisting she undergo on performing a C-section, even though she had informed her doctor that she would prefer not to have surgery.

Szabo already has three children, two of whom she delivered vaginally. Her second child was delivered by emergency C-section due to a placenta eruption. Administrators at Page Hospital in Arizona ruled in June to prohibit vaginal births after Caesareans due to limited resources.

Szabo isn't buying it. She has met with Haryasz twice and says, "They don't want to allow VBACs because she said they aren't equipped for emergency C-sections, but if they can't do emergency C-sections, they shouldn't be having labor and delivery at all."

<LEFT>
So far, no neither side has budged. While the hospital told Szabo it would get a court order to perform a C-section if necessary, Szabo is skeptical that a judge would order a pregnant woman to undergo surgery that many consider unnecessary (see the aptly named right to choose how to deliver.​
</LEFT>
<LEFT>
According to the International Cesarean Awareness Network (ICAN), almost a third of births in the United States are by cesarean section, even though the recommended rate is between 5 and 10 percent. ICAN is partnering with a lawyer from Legal Voice to fight VBAC bans in several states in the Northwest.​
</LEFT>
For Szabo's part, her message is clear: As the message above points out, she doesn't want anyone entering her body without her consent, including a doctor. Do you think Szabo should be allowed to deliver without a C-section?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Rape and a forced c-section are two totally different ball games, but she has a point here:

<I>"They don't want to allow VBACs because she said they aren't equipped for emergency C-sections, but if they can't do emergency C-sections, they shouldn't be having labor and delivery at all."</I>

Also, if I'm reading the story correctly, she has already had a VBAC at this particular hospital, but due to this new ruling she won't be allowed to attempt another. Good for her for fighting this ridiculous ruling. I hope there is a happy ending.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I agree with Trina. If the hospital isn't equipped for emergency c-sections, why would they deliver any babies? Do they think that all vaginal births end happily?

However, I'm not quite sure why this lady is wasting her pregnancy fighting this. She should pick another hospital to deliver at, then come back and fight this battle.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Dadu2004 said:
If the hospital isn't equipped for emergency c-sections, why would they deliver any babies?

I think (and I'm guessing here, but it's a reasonable educated guess since DW had 2 c/s's and works in the health insurance industry, I'm guessing it's because if they take her in for delivery knowing her history, they are going to take the precaution of scheduling a c/s suite for her and prepping for it. If she goes ahead and deliver's vaginally, then insurance is obviuosly only going to pay for that so, they've missed out on covering someof their expense to prep the c/s suite and potentially lost booking that facility for another c/s. Seems like it's probably all about money.

Good for her for fighting it, I think she's probably going to loose, there are enough vagueties to allow them to say they have medical risk of letting her pursue the vaginal delivery that no court is going to force them to let her try. having had 2 c/s's my DW would argue why would she want to, to her, that seems like a much easier way to have babies, but to each their own...

Momnonymous

PF Regular
Jun 1, 2009
Dadu2004 said:
However, I'm not quite sure why this lady is wasting her pregnancy fighting this. She should pick another hospital to deliver at, then come back and fight this battle.
It doesn't look like there's any others close enough for that to really be an option. Which makes them being unequipped for emergency C-sections even scarier.

This whole thing is crazy, and even if she could easily go to another hospital, good for her for fighting it.

why would she want to, to her, that seems like a much easier way to have babies
Vaginal births have health benefits for both the mother and the baby, c-sections can make breastfeeding difficult, and why get cut open if you don't have to...

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Dadu2004 said:

I agree this probably won't help for HER delivery, but she's trying to pave the way for future pregnant women.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
i can't seem to place my thoughts on this in a good understandable order. please forgive me, stress is bad again.

i wouldn't want to spend a pregnancy fighting with someone. i get how she feels but.............
the hospital doesn't have the staff to do a v-bac even though they did one in the first place and are now sending out mixed signals about it and don't even have a written policy. i don't get how they managed her first v-bac if they didn't have the staff for it.
the woman does have the right to a v-bac.
if she can't afford to go to a hospital that will allow them then she needs to suck it up and accept the situation for what it is and go after this hospital after it is all done. -------&gt; her getting upset as much as she probably is over this can't be a good thing for the baby.
i do think it is screwed up they allowed a v-bac in the first place and wont allow her to have another.
but she can come back and fight another day after baby is delivered and prevent this from happening to someone else.
more on it about how the hospital doesn't have staff for a v-bac.
Lake Powell Chronicle
i this hospital's ptb's way of handling this has gotta be about money somehow., some of it is clear to me but some of it aint...i can't pinpoint where it aitn clear.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Momnonymous said:
Vaginal births have health benefits for both the mother and the baby, c-sections can make breastfeeding difficult, and why get cut open if you don't have to...
A regular vaginal delivery and a VBAC aren't quite the same. Sure, a vaginal birth either way has it's pros, but a VBAC is higher risk. Apparently some hospitals aren't willing to deal with that.

Both my kids were born via c-section, and I had no problems breastfeeding. :)

VBAC wasn't an option for me, even if I wanted, but I think mothers should have that choice if they're a good candidate for it.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I totally agree, 16th Ave! This isn't a battle *I* would choose but she has for whatever reasons.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Not trying to be contentious here, just a few thoughts in response...

Momnonymous said:
It doesn't look like there's any others close enough for that to really be an option.
I guess that's a matter of convenience over principal. People travel and stay extended period sof time at hospital thousands of miles away from home to obtain treatment they want, so it could be done.

Momnonymous said:
Which makes them being unequipped for emergency C-sections even scarier.
If they can do a c-section, or any surgery then they are equiped to do and emergency c-section. I still think it comes back to the notion that they aren't willing to set up for a c-section then end up not doing it (and not being able to bill for it.)

Momnonymous said:
why get cut open if you don't have to...
Perspective....from DW's perspective, having had nearly 20 surgeries before being pregnant, she thinks why toil at labor for day when they can simply cut you open and get the job done....perspective. Guess I wasn't aware of any breasfeeding problem associated with C/S, DW was able to breastfeed just fine both deliveries.

and again, I support her fight if that's what she wants to do...just seems like she's fighting city hall on this one. And what if she wins, if that the place she wants to trust her health to? Sort of like going to a restaurant, raisning holy hell about your food and somehow expecting that they aren't going to spit in it.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
The rape comment really bothers me, I cant seem to get past it.

She has a choice, either she can go on and on and on about this hospital until the cows come home, or she can go to another. If she feels that strongly about it then surely she would be more than capable of finding another hospital in her area.

In the end, the hospital has the right to say "no, we do not offer this due to these reasons" and thats what has occured here. Ideally though, they should offer up information on nearby hospitals that do offer VBACs.

I honestly think she's just being silly and should do the mature thing and find somehwere else to go.

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
I don't think she's being silly but I don't think she should be comparing it to rape either. But essentially they are taking away her options. It's ridiculous for a hospital to not offer VBACs as an alternative to surgery. I wonder what would happen if they pushed her into a section and there were serious complications?

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
unfortunately here, most any hospital can perform a c/s. but the insurance companies can deny any procedure and/or medications they believe are not needed. (that was my understanding the last time i bothered to look at an insurance policy. could be wrong.)

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
The thing with emergency cesarians is that the hospital must have a theatre available and prepped for it. They also need on-call surgeons and scrub nurses, thats extra staff which costs money that they may not get back depending on whether there is an emergency cesarian or not that day.

Assuming this is a public hospital, most public hospitals resources are stretched very tightly, thats common in most first world countries, healthcare dosent get the money it needs. This hospital could be feeling the strain of that and had to make the cuts.

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
I'm not sure I understand.

So she goes to the hospital in labor. The Doctor says, "look, we need to do a c-section like we told you," but she still says "no."

I doubt they're they going to turn her away to have the baby in the street outside, and they sure as hell can't cut her open against her will when her family member is standing there also saying "no, don't cut her."

What do they do?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
true zeit. Hadn't thought about the fact that her probably was just that she asked first. Maybe they'd push to get her to consent to the C/c but in the end they'll just wrap themselves in paper saying the VBAC was against medical advice so they try to limit their liability when they get sued.