Getting a woman pregnant and then leaving her...

ForeverDorks

Oct 2, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Do you think that there should be a law stating that if a man leaves a woman because he got her pregnant and doesn't want anything to do with the mother or the baby, that he should either go to jail and/or face criminal charges? I think that if a guy can do a stupid act like that and leave her, that he should be punished for his actions.

momandmore

PF Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2013
Hi :) I totally get what you are saying and I don't think it's right by any means but it takes two to make the pregnancy happen. (in most cases). So, I don't think there should be a law.
If the mother chooses to keep the baby (not abort or adopt out) He will face his reprecusions down the line.
Just my opinion. My first child's father did this to me. I was young, stupid and thought I was in love. Everything worked out just fine though. My DD knows who her father is, and how he is. (I never told her about him leaving when we found out I was expecting) I mean she has grown up and formed her own opinion of him. She chooses to call him by his name instead of Dad. She started this at age 3 and I was a single mother so there was no other man that she called dad either. She is 14 now.

sorry I can't spell today.

ForeverDorks

Oct 2, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Momandmore,
I do agree what you are saying, but, I still feel that if the father doesn't want to take responsibility for his own actions, then he should be punished and not be able to walk off scotch-free. I still believe that the father should pay for his actions. Yes, it takes two to make a baby, but, that doesn't give him a right to leave.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I don't know, I would imagine that most of those cases are accidental. Therefor I'm not sure if it is justifiable to be put in jail or be charged. I'm pretty sure a man that doesn't want a baby wont purposefully impregnate a woman. They both took the chance to have sex - both risking the possibility of pregnancy. It happens. Sucks when the guy doesn't stick around, but also sounds like the type of guy you wouldn't WANT to stick around anyway. Why should two people be forced to stay together by law just because of pregnancy?

If the mother absolutely does not want the child, there is always adoption. Or abortion, I guess. :/

If she keeps the child, then the father is forced to take responsibility by paying child support and whatnot. As long as the man takes responsibility for the child he created at least financially, then I don't see why punishment makes any sense. If he doesn't pay, he goes to jail.

ForeverDorks

Oct 2, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
But, the thing is, most of the time, guys don't take responsibility for their actions. It is like, they get a girl pregnant. Even if he doesn't want financial responsibility for the child, he should at least stick around to see the child.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Also, I have seen cases where the mother wanted nothing to do with the baby, and the father took it and raised it all himself. :) It isn't always the dad taking off.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
It is very sad, you are so right! In fact, my own biological father took off when he found out my mom was pregnant. I've never met him. His loss, really. :p

I don't think two people should be forced to stay together, but it is a shame when a father (or mother) makes no effort to at least be a part of the child's life. I think that's less common than just leaving the other parent, though. I think most half decent people (even the ones who don't want to raise a kid) at least want to see their child and be a part of his/her life. Usually.

Last edited:

momandmore

PF Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2013
Yes.. Moms do it too. My mom did it to me. I have 5 SK's who all live with DH and I bc their mom's did the same. (2 previous marriages) The moms aren't paying child support and aren't in jail.
Dads always get a bad rep for this and if a father wasn't paying C/S he would most likely be in jail.
I agree.. people shouldn't be forced to stay together because they have a child together. It could turn out to be a really bad situation for the child. Even with just forcing a parent to see the child if they want nothing to do with the child/children.

and just want to clarify, when I mentioned abortion, that didn't mean I condone it.. just didn't want that opinion of me out there. I have a child who is from a rape and he does NOT and probably will ever never ever know this. Not many people do know. I'm not going to lie and say I didn't consider it at first because I did.. but not for very long.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Foreverdorks, I just don't see how that would work logistically. How would you determine that he left the girl because she was pregnant? Maybe he left because they fought too much, or she smelled, or he wanted to be alone. And at what point would you stop enforcing this rule? Once the baby is born, can he leave? Once the baby is five years old, can he leave? Once the child is 18? Never? I mean, it sounds like you are outlawing divorce. (Or, if they are unmarried, prohibiting a breakup - which is much harder to define.) It would be pretty easy to get around, in that case. "Oh, we're still together, I'm just... living somewhere else indefinitely..." or "The only job I could find was a Taco Bell on the other side of the country, but I didn't 'leave' her."

Logistically, what did you envision? We already have child support laws in the U.S., and you can be jailed for failure to pay child support. Is there not a similar system in Canada?

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Why feel foolish? I think we've all known someone who got abandoned when she was pregnant, and of course we think, "That's terrible, there should be some way to stop this!"

Logistically, there just isn't. But we all feel your frustration, I think!

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
TabascoNatalie said:
I wonder what about those cases where a woman trips a guy to make him marry her or at least pay the support.

On another forum there is a discussion on this "possibility"
Reproductive abuse. Very disturbing stuff.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
It's alright, you certainly haven't made a fool of yourself. I know we have all had thoughts like this at one point in time. :) Nothing wrong with wanting justice for innocent children who have been wronged.

Unfortunately, there really is no good solution or no "fair" one-size-fits-all consequence for making poor decisions in life that affect a child. And a lot of people get away with too much. I definitely hear you. The idea has good intentions, just isn't really practical. :/

momandmore

PF Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2013
I don't think you have made a fool either. I think it's a good topic. I think sometimes people don't make the best decisions. a lot of pregnancies aren't planned and it's just something that happens. I fully agree that the absent father or mother should have to pay.
I just think a lot more comes with it than making the child see the absent parent. It could cause more damage to the child if the child senses he/she is unwanted. I only say this bc I have a SD who is going through this and has been most of her life. It's very sad. I'm not saying every situation is like this or has to be like this.. just throwing out maybe a different perspective.
I do think it's total BS that parents can just leave their kids behind. But as PP said, their loss.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I think I get where you're coming from, but I really don't believe that a parent who doesn't want to should be forced to see a child. It really doesn't benefit anyone. Obviously two involved parents is best for a child, but I really believe that a single parent is better than a parent who makes the child feel unloved and unwanted all the time...

As for making it a criminal offence, that just isn't practical...