Getting conflicting answers on milk for 1 yr old...

littlebit1901

PF Regular
May 7, 2009
I would like to know what others pediatricions have told them. Mine said that Lucas, who turned 1 on June 28th, should be taking in 24-32 ounces of milk a day. The WIC nutritionist said they only recommend 16 ounces a day. I have been giving him around four 8 ounce bottles (while we're transitioning to a cup) a day, but add that to napping and 1) he's not hungry for solids and 2) there's just not enough time in the day that he's awake for it all. Is 16 ounces of milk plus solids for breakfast, lunch and dinner enough? I know WIC tends to have unrealistic guidelines, but I kinda agree with them that 24-32 ounces of milk is too much. What do you guys think?

Rosa

PF Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2009
Wales
Ours have only had breast milk as one year olds, I would go with the doctor, as we are designed to live solely on milk until all of our teeth are in, so 2-4 years old.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I think you are fine, WIC recommends so few ounces cause they are assuming that the child is drinking whole milk and because of the fat content (which is good for you) want to keep the milk to the fewest ounces possible but with all the benefits of milk fat and calcium. I always used 2% milk and gave them what they wanted, some day's they would drink a lot of milk and few solids and other days they ate more solids and less milk. Do what feels comfortable for your baby, at the end of the day you know what will work for him.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
I also think that is fine, as long as it's whole milk. I forget the age that they can go to 2%. We went back to whole milk for our oldest because he doesnt eat a heck of lot and since sippy cups are community property around here we didnt want our 14 month old drinking 2%. They get 16-24oz, Doc said that was fine.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I think part of the issue is that they don't want kids consuming large quantities of calories in fat at the same time they are transitioning to food, it can lead to bad habits of over consuming calories. And I'm not sayng you should switch to a lower percentage of milkfat, the fat is good for 1 year olds, you just need to balance what they are getting in calories from food with reducing the amount of milk and substituting water to fill out theirr hydration requirements. If you're confused on balancing it< I'd have a discussion with the dr and explain the conflicting information. There isn't one magic number, it's all relative to the child and their diet You just need to figure out what standard you are trying to manage to.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I want to add that 2% was ok with my doc because my kids are always very chunky and ate plenty of other milk based products...mainly cheese, my family has a love affair with cheese.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
when table food became the kiddos diet we always made sure they were given milk and juice and all that. but we didn't really monitor how much milk or juice or what have you that they were taking in as long as we were sure they were getting enough nutrition that they needed from everything they were taking in. we treated it as the "when he/she's hungry they will eat" sort of way.
if you are certain kiddo is getting enough nutrition i wouldn't really worry about how much milk he is drinking.

tell me if i'm wrong if i am. but i don't think it is milk in particular the doc. and wic are concerned with. i think its the <U>nutrition</U> that is <U>in</U> the milk they are concerned with.

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
I know I'm not going to be anywhere near the popular opinion on this but IMO milk is for cows. I don't worry about how much milk Nolan gets. He eats a ton of dairy products and other foods that have the nutrients milk has. Nolan happens to like milk so he gets it fairly often but I wouldn't be upset if he didn't. He's growing right on track.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
You guys don't even want to know how much milk Eli drinks. Lol! I always made it a habbit to lie to WIC because they're crazy and mean about their guidelines. I actually heard them talking to another young mother in the next room from me when I was there once and they were saying to her "You seriously give him THAT MUCH formula in ONE DAY??" And the kid was a big boy (not fat at all, just a boy, and just a good sized baby), and I saw no reason for the alarm. They probably made her feel so bad. I always knew they wouldn't agree, so I'd cut like 10 or so ounces off the number Eli really ate/drank!! lol!! Their problem is that they think that there is always one cut and dry number for how much every single child needs, when really the truth is that every baby is different.

And yeah, Eli doesn't eat very well at all. I know, but honestly I've tried several times to cut his liquid consumption down to reccomendations in order to get him hungry for real food and it never changed the amount he ate. I promise you I'm telling the truth. I cut him down for two weeks in a row once and noticed no eating changes with solids and he actually LOST weight because of it. I haven't tried it again since then, and I don't think its important enough to make my (already kind of little) boy lose weight over.

And otherwise he seems pretty healthy to me. :)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yeah that was my other thought. I don't expect Eli to not want steak and potatoes when he's fifteen someday, and instead ask for three glasses of milk. lol

Rosa

PF Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2009
Wales
Its normal for a 22 monther to generally not want solids, Lennon preferred the boob over food until he was about 27 months.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Thank you, its nice to hear from other people that Eli isn't the only thirsty toddler haha.

Rosa

PF Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2009
Wales
Oh, Lennon is my step-son by the way, incase you were wondering why he isn't in my info bit!

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
put him in anyways, just b/c you're a step parent to the boy doesn't mean you are not performing the tasks of a parent.:)
i've never seen anyone here say anything mean about a stepparents. i think there's even a few of them as reg. posters.

emmy is still a big drinker at 7.

Rosa

PF Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2009
Wales
I find the best way to stop men being pervs is to describe a babies head crowning in as much detail as possible, works perfectly!

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Rosa said:
Oh, Lennon is my step-son by the way, incase you were wondering why he isn't in my info bit!
16th ave. said:
put him in anyways, just b/c you're a step parent to the boy doesn't mean you are not performing the tasks of a parent.:)
i've never seen anyone here say anything mean about a stepparents. i think there's even a few of them as reg. posters.

emmy is still a big drinker at 7.

I agree with 16th...2 of mine are "step", it's not a secret which but I don't advertise it either I have been thier only mom for many..many..years.