Getting older....

GeekyOwl

PF Regular
Feb 12, 2012
Pennsylvania
I turned 27 in December. I've never really felt my age. Generally, I feel like I'm still in my early 20s, but lately I've began to feel my age.

My main problem is that I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I've never had this problem before. I try my best to go right before I fall asleep and I try not to drink anything about an hour before bed, but no matter what I do, I wake up around the same time every night to go.

Do you think it's just because I'm getting older or could this be a problem I should go to the doctor about?

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
GeekyOwl said:
My main problem is that I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I've never had this problem before. I try my best to go right before I fall asleep and I try not to drink anything about an hour before bed, but no matter what I do, I wake up around the same time every night to go.
GeekyOwl, do you know if you snore? The problem you describe could also be related to sleep apnea. It's a problem with nighttime breathing that causes people to snap out of deep sleep several times a night.
When you wake up from deep sleep, several other bodily process are waked up too, including the need to go to the bathroom.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Well I am not qualified to give any medical advice.

If its just a matter of getting up and taking a wiz. I wouldn't worry. Now if you get up and there is not much there, it take's you awhile to get a stream going, or you cant sleep because you feel the urgency a lot. That would be different.

If you get up with a full bladder. And take a good wiz. Then my opinion would be you just had to pee. Thats better than say, not waking up.

GeekyOwl

PF Regular
Feb 12, 2012
Pennsylvania
Thank you for the responses. First, I'm female. And second, when I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, I always go a lot and I don't have a problem starting to go.

If I was having trouble going to the bathroom, then I would go to the doctor. So, I guess it's just a normal thing. I just thought I was kind of young to be starting this.

GeekyOwl

PF Regular
Feb 12, 2012
Pennsylvania
Oh, and parentastic - yes, I do snore. My mother had sleep apnea before she passed away. Maybe I should go to the doctor to talk about this...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
BTW GeeKyowl

We like to call it Wee Wee, pee pee, or tinkle here at PF.

We knew what you meant.

momtoallkids

PF Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2012
agawam,ma
if you are going alot even durring the day, it could be diabetes. thats one of the red flags.
i know exactly how you feel though. i am up and down all night to go to the bathroom. it sucks lol. ive tried everything, seen doctors, had tests run ect. turns out i just have a weak bladder.good luck though.

Testing

PF Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2012
GeekyOwl said:
I turned 27 in December. I've never really felt my age. Generally, I feel like I'm still in my early 20s, but lately I've began to feel my age.

Do you think it's just because I'm getting older or could this be a problem I should go to the doctor about?
At 27? No. You are probably just going through a weird stage. If it doesn't end, ask your doctor. Do you eat a lot of salt? That can make you go later.

I'm almost double your age (gasp) and I don't get up every night. I do get up once in awhile.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
one other thought is weight....not to pry or anything, but if you've put on some extra weight, that can push stuff around inside, so that effects urinary capacity (as well as other stuff, like tendancy toward acid reflux etc...) just a thought.