Gifting options?...

NikitaP

Mar 7, 2011
Hi guys, I am looking out for some suggestions on what to gift my 6 month old niece. I live in Mumbai.
Can anybody recommend some nice gifting options and a few places that I should check out? Thanks!!!:)

yeojungi

PF Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas
You live in Mumbai-- what about the niece? I would ask what the locals typically give to a baby in Mumbai and see if I could do that, too. Something with a cultural meaning that will last a long time? Sorry I am not very specific!

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I take it you are an expat in Mumbai. Is the niece in Mumbai? I know that when I lived abroad, I started to take the local items for granted. Some things were so ubiquitous that when it came time to bring home gifts, I overlooked them. Now that I've been home, I wish I'd gotten tons of those things. You might be surprised what would be appreciated back home even if it's a dime a dozen (literally and figuratively) in Mumbai. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I don't know the local products in India.

The items don't necessarily have to be age-appropriate either. For example, in the city I lived in in China, there was a kite-maker who was pretty well known. I got my 2yo niece a butterfly kite. Her parents said it was too beautiful to fly, so they designed her entire room around it. It still hangs in her room.

bunches

Mar 31, 2011
I always appreciated the book gifts so that may be an option. They can be expensive if the mom is buying them.

Eliza

Apr 11, 2011
is your niece in mumbai too ? if so, how about throwing her a little party ! im sure she's love all the attention for the day :)

idanzalz

Apr 20, 2011
What about camera? it's a nice gift and if the parent want they can give you remote access to view the child, sounds cool to me

adib

May 16, 2011
Totally agree with MomoJa; Get something local, that signifies the unique bond to you!

robjohnson

Nov 14, 2011
yeojungi said:
You live in Mumbai-- what about the niece? I would ask what the locals typically give to a baby in Mumbai and see if I could do that, too. Something with a cultural meaning that will last a long time? Sorry I am not very specific!
I agree with this. Something local will have the most lasting impact.

I still have things that I got years ago from places I visited because having a tangible object there always has a way of taking you back. I understand that the niece hasn't actually been there, but having something unique that you can't get around her home will mean a lot.

menno

Dec 12, 2011
kiev
GiftCards!

but make sure it is a giftcard from a shop selling children stuff only.. i need to admit that i used a giftcard once for a little gift for ourselves ;)