Go the F*** to Sleep...

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I'm probably way behind the times on this one, but I just saw the video of Samuel Jackson reading this book. I'd never even heard of it.

I just about wet myself laughing.

I can't see myself paying money for a children's book I could never read to my child, but it's so funny I'd be tempted.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I found the concept funny, like you I don't think I would by it though more for fear the younger ones might come across it. He supposed to do a childrens version of it also.

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
I haven't read this yet but now I'm very curious, so I think I'll go look it up now lol

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
Haha, I listened to Samuel L Jackson reading this and it is very funny. Again, it's a shame it's not something you can share with your young kids but us adults need a chuckle every once in awhile too.

Momof1

Jul 14, 2011
I am new here, so I don't want to make myself unpopular, but...I guess I will be in the minority here when I say I did not appreciate the humor of the book. I am raising my son and now helping to raise my grandchild and I have been exhausted by not sleeping, frustrated, exasperated, yet not once did I ever think of swear words about my child or grandchild while trying to put them to bed. Not because I'm some perfect mom, trust me I'm not, but because all those frustration is just part of parenting and they are still my sweet precious babies even when I'm frustrated. It would never cross my mind to think "that's bull----, you're lying" about my own child. Not because my child is perfect, he certainly isn't, but because I just wouldn't use that kind of language when thinking about a child.
I understand how it could be funny I guess, I'm not judging those who find it funny...but IMO this is one of those "never should have been written" type of books to me. I just don't like it. I have read it and i don't think it's funny at all.

FairParent

Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
I've only seen the video of it, and it had me crying laughing. My daughter is 13 now, but I remember having to hold her tight against my body to keep her from moving, so that she'd ultimately fall asleep, when she was 2~3 years old.

sottilare

Jul 24, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Heard Samuel L reading it, thought it was hilarious. I read about people disliking it because it was reminiscent of child abuse... but I think that's missing the mark by a long shot. I guess you just have to have that sense of humor (and love) to be able to "get" it without feeling iffy about it.

smiller

Jul 28, 2011
I just heard of this book in this forum.

seems like a really good read! i should check that one out! i need a good laugh.

Byass77

Jul 28, 2011
Bremerton, WA
I'm not sure why offense is taken to this book. I'm pretty sure it is to give parents a laugh. I believe we have all at one point or another thought those words. I know my son at one point a little less than a year ago was a chatterbox when he would first go down to sleep because he finally realized that the monitor in his room allowed Daddy to hear him elsewhere in the house.
I have not read the book, but I know after working 16 or seventeen hours in a day and going to lay down and listening to "Daddy...Daddy...Daddy...etc" is cute at first, after about minute 45 not so cute.
I would never say that to my boy, but I sure have thought it..

Aureliaw

Jul 29, 2011
Washington DC
You may not be able to share it with your young children but I did share it with my 23 year old that has a 3 year old son! We both got a good laugh out of it

:laugh:

Incogneato said:
Haha, I listened to Samuel L Jackson reading this and it is very funny. Again, it's a shame it's not something you can share with your young kids but us adults need a chuckle every once in awhile too.