Gotta share :)...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Sam and her boyfriend have found their own place.

The husband got the boyfriend a job out with him and Lupan (about the only way to get in at the plant is to know someone). He'd been living with his brother, but earning his keep. Brother and SIL decided they wanted a baby and now that BF is making twice the amount of money it was time for him to move out., and gave him a July deadline.

Sam's been on her own, but it's not really working where she's at, so the decided to start looking.

For over a month we have been looking, you'd think in a state where dogs are like children it wouldn't be so hard to do, but the only places we could find that would take dogs, the dogs had to be under 20 pounds. Ace isn't a big dog, but he's not small either.

Sam call's me upset because they are running out of time, and they are having no luck. I have been helping and running into the same thing.

Thursday I google every rental company in the city, there are 8, I call the first 7 and nothing. I almost decided not to call number 8, and at first she says no to the $600 price range. The could have had one for $500 under if she didn't have her dog. Well the lady says no, but then says she has one for $650, but she already has two showings and she just listed it that morning.

I tell Sam to get her butt over there. Long story shorter (lol) the lady loved Sam and loved that she had all of the money up front including enough to move in early. Not even 18 hours later Sam had the keys to her new place. the lady told Sam that she had a good feeling from the moment her mom called, and that when she met her she fell in love with her and knew she was the right tenant for the house. Can you see me doing the happy dance.

Funny thing is, Sam took out most of her piercings and tried to cover her tattoo's, the lady happened to notice and then asked Sam about them, so Sam offered to show them to her. Sam get's a first impression is important, and she was happy that the lady didn't automatically judge her for them.

Today we start moving her in and even better news, she is only two blocks up from Lupan.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Congratulations to Sam :)

It's funny actually, with the normalisation of body mods, more people are fascinated by them rather than judgemental, which is wonderful.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
lmao, seriously? Fish don't count, everybody knows that haha.

M2M that is so awesome!! Good for them! I'm happy for them. :)

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Sorry guys it got real busy here, we got her moved in and had Ted's 22nd birthday and her 21st. My 'babies' are growing up :(

Goldfish? Really goldfish, that man sounds crazy it was probably for the better that your friend moved.

Cybele, we live in a very conservative state, so sadly there is still some discrimination. Oddly enough we find the older generation to be more accepting of he tat's and piercings.

As for the dog, the lady explained that the winter months are a better time to find houses that allow animals. Not sure why? Maybe people don't like to move in the snow? She was just looking at a bad time.

She is super excited!

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I missed this... it's great news! Congrats to Sam :)

akmom said:
My sister's landlord allowed pets, but required the tenant to put down a deposit for replacing the carpet. Seemed fair enough.
Yup, that sounds fair enough. Making an issue about a goldfish, however, I really extreme... :rolleyes:

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
akmom said:
My sister's landlord allowed pets, but required the tenant to put down a deposit for replacing the carpet. Seemed fair enough.
Yep, she had to put down a $200 pet deposit. Which she was fine with. He's not destructive anymore (as a pup it was a whole other story). He can also hold his bathroom needs for what seems like an eternity lol. I sure as hell couldn't hold it that long.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
akmom said:
Not really. I'd say its taking unfair advantage of people with pets. You pay deposit when you rent property anyway. And pets can't do more damage to carpets or furniture than people. Then it would be very reasonable to come up with children's deposit :shocked:

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Well, not quite.

Cat urine is very hard to get out of carpet.

We own two properties that we rent out and yeah, some people are absolute pigs and can do unimaginable things to houses, but all it takes is a dog or cat that aren't properly toilet trained and you end up with thousands of dollars of damage that can drastically reduce your income, regardless of how lovely the tenants themselves are. A pet bond is perfectly reasonable, plus, if you train your animals correctly, you get it back.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
TabascoNatalie said:
Not really. I'd say its taking unfair advantage of people with pets. You pay deposit when you rent property anyway. And pets can't do more damage to carpets or furniture than people. Then it would be very reasonable to come up with children's deposit :shocked:
Really? Animals shed, dander gets deep in the carpet, they very commonly have accidents inside (the smell of which is often times impossible to get out, and you can never clean deep enough in a carpet to truly clean it), dig carpets up in places, the list could go on.

Also, you get regular deposits back as long as you didn't ruin anything.

Pets definitely cause more damage to carpets than adults, however I agree with you on kids lol. Kids maybe even worse than animals sometimes as far as ruining carpets go. Oh, my poor carpets haha. But I own my place. Either way, the difference is that animals are optional, kids technically you choose to have them but you can't just have someone else adopt them so that you can move into a new apartment that doesn't accept kids lol. That's silly. It would be funny if there was a kid deposit though haha! I wouldn't blame landlords for doing that, but I doubt its legal.

The carpet absolutely should be replaced, and the people who chose to keep animals should pay for it (because the next people to move in did not decide to have those animals live there before them, and shouldn't be punished for it). Even the cleanest animals leave behind hair and dander, and that "animal smell". I can't stand all of that. I don't have animals, only a fish. My oldest is very allergic to both cats and dogs, so yes if I had to move into a pet friendly apartment I would absolutely appreciate the carpet being replaced. At least no one is allergic to kids and the ketchup stain on the carpet does not wreak of ammonia.

Last edited:

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
But there's deposit for general possible damage anyway, and if people live long enough, stuff would need to be replaced anyway.
But how come there is no extra deposit for smokers? When somebody smokes inside for a while, a place reeks. Plus fire hazard.
Also there could be an extra deposit for alcohol consumption, guests and parties. Very reasonable.
And what damage children can do to property i wouldn't even go into :D

As for animals, it is very depressing to see how many pets are abandoned and eventually destroyed when cash-strapped owners can't afford a pet-friendly property.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I get and agree with Natalie.

You are already leaving a deposit. If the dog was to do damage you just take it out of the money already left as a deposit. If their deposit doesn't cover it, then take them to court and sue them for the rest of the damages.

adoptive dad

Banned
Jun 26, 2013
Winchester UK
Haha I see I joined the right site with dog lovers here then ay? We have got two cats and a dog now but in our old house that was a rental we had a much bigger dog (we just have a Westie now) back then we had a Lab which would take anything on we agreed in our contract to replace anything that got damaged such as doors and funiture. Thankfully the furniture was cheap stuff we had bought ourselves anything we didn't have chance to replace before our contract ended came out of our deposit. Somethings our tenants insurance covered other things it didn't you should check tenant insurance out. As for goldfish that's overstepping the mark. Fish don't make any mess unless you spill their food and tread into the carpet or spill the water on the floor during cleaning.

Last edited: