GPS Tracking Device for Children...

teenage_parent

PF Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2011
Hi everyone!

Just thought i'd share this... if anyone is interested in getting a GPS tracking device for their children, I have a client that manufactures GPS trackers. I can get you huge discounts. Maybe even free.

GPS trackers will help you keep track exactly where your child is at any given moment. Knock on wood... we all know that 2,000 children get abducted everyday. A GPS is an added layer of protection.

If your children are studying, you can talk with their school so school buses can get their own GPS trackers for parents to be able to track their children. we can give the GPS trackers for free to the schools.

If you want to check out the different tracker, click atlastracking.com

That's it actually.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Or phones... the GPS chip can activate when your phone is on silent.

Seriously though... why? What benefit is there to GPS tracking your child? When they're little they don't really go anywhere, and by the time they are old enough to decide that they are going to be all rebellious and go somewhere you tell them not to they will figure out how to attach it to a bird or a cat or an interstate bus or somewhere equally as funny.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
There is definitely a need. A lot of people have issues with escapism of elderly and (In my case) Autistic children.

There are several thing's that make me skeptical of this particular product. First is the cost. For 30 bucks a month you can get a cell that has similar capabilities and additional features. The price is also a little on the steep side.

The lack of reviews is painfully obvious. I dont buy anything with out what I feel are good hands on reviews.

I also dont see a video presentation of the GeoFence. I would want to see it in operation and how simple or complicated that interface is. For us the Geo fences are the biggest selling point.

The ones I had seen in the past include multiple notification's. For example: We could put a circle around Grandma's house or the school. As soon as the fence is broken a notice is sent to Grandma, Wife, and myself. That is a redundant safety feature the has a need. Maybe Grandma is in the shower, Maybe the wife is pooping, ect ect.

One of the typical items I have an issue with are their method's of attachment. Many people experience these issues (escapism) right before or after bedtimes. Also in the summer time not much to attach to.

I am suspect of the battery spec's the site claims. Again I would want to see a non-vested review.

I think the concept is great. And IMHO there is absolutely, without a doubt a need. The Autism sites I frequent would let out a great cheer for a viable, economic feasible answer for escapism. It is always in the top three issues for the parents.

All that aside. You should be aware we are veterans of the war. I have drawer's full of safety gadgets and locks. This specific issue is a constant topic when we gather. We have been beat down by promises of "A better way"

I would be willing to try it. But unwilling to buy one. At least until I could touch feel and get feedback on its usability.

Last edited:

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Bssage, I once came across a special doormat that is wired to ring the door bell when someone steps on it. When I found it, I was actually looking for something that would alert us to nightly predators approaching our animals, but the reviews touted it as great for elderly parents who tried to wander. You probably already have something similar, but your post reminded me of that. It was the Swann Wireless Doormat.

teenage_parent

PF Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2011
cybele said:
Or phones... the GPS chip can activate when your phone is on silent.

Seriously though... why? What benefit is there to GPS tracking your child?
statistically, it's for 6-14 years old which is 62% of the child abduction cases in the country. again, it will not stop child abduction but it's just an extra level of protection.

it's also for children with special needs as mentioned by bssage below or for elderly parents who are not in homes.

bssage said:
There is definitely a need. A lot of people have issues with escapism of elderly and (In my case) Autistic children.

I would be willing to try it. But unwilling to buy one. At least until I could touch feel and get feedback on its usability.
i will pm you

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Teenage I sent my info. I did not notice on the site of it were water resistant?

AK. Thats pretty cool and inexpensive. I may get one to try just because of its low cost. They also have a ton of reviews. I problem I see with that is a lot of people use them to indicate when thier cat or dog returns home. That might be a problem. I think I may give it a go anyway.

The Geo trackers also have an advantage where I could have several fences programmed in. I think three for this particular product. So I could put a circle around Grandma's house, The school, And our home. And those fences can be edited on the fly. I.E. Expand the circle to include the yard instead of just the house. The fences are just great concepts. And I will admit it been almost a year since I was researching them. I was going to get one that wears like a watch. But I could not get Chloe to tolerate the watch band.

Currently we have several locks and alarms on the doors. She is able to shut these off since she has gotten taller this year.

We in the past have had the local police have returned her home several times in the past. Walking down our busy road wearing just panties in the early morning hours (we were asleep).

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I decided to share the escapism (elopement) link here. If reading the entire report is too much. This section covers a lot.

Preliminary Findings
Based on responses to the IAN Elopement and Wandering Questionnaire, it is clear that roughly half of children with ASD between the ages of 4 and 10 attempt to elope. This rate is nearly four times higher than for the children’s unaffected siblings. Between ages 7 and 10, almost 30% of children with ASD are still engaging in elopement behavior, a rate eight times higher than for their unaffected siblings. These figures are especially sobering when 35% of families with children who elope report their children are “never” or “rarely" able to communicate their name, address, or phone number by any means.
More than half (57%) reported that elopement was the most, or among the most, stressful of ASD behaviors. Fear that a child would escape their home during the night disrupted sleep for more than 40% of these families. Likewise, fear of elopement kept 62% of such families from attending or enjoying activities outside the home, increasing social isolation.
Full report with graphics: http://www.iancommunity.org/cs/ian_research_reports/ian_research_report_elopement[/url]

More stuff: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/08/autistic-children-wandering_n_1943657.html[/url]

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt211996.html

Last edited:

teenage_parent

PF Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2011
we just live in a different time. there are 800,000 sex offenders registered in the US but that's not even 10 percent of actual abusers because 90 percent get away with it even after repeated offense. that's 1 child abuser per 1 square km in the US.

there's some use for it. of course it has to have its limits too. we need to respect their privacy especially when they get into their teenage years.

teenage_parent

PF Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2011
XxAkikazexX said:
I agree. I have an Atlas Companion and absolutely love it! It looks like a watch, and we mainly put it on when we go out into large crowded areas! So good to meet another Atlas Mommy!
oh you do? how is it so far? just honest feedback only please :)

XxAkikazexX

Apr 10, 2013
Chicago
Really good. I haven't had to use it, thank Odin, but its that peace of mind I like. It looks like a watch, so its not a phone or anything someone would want to snatch. Cesca feels good wearing it because it is like "Dougie's watch". If something does happen to Cesca, I know I can activate the watch and get the local police on the scene with the GPS tracking versus me just trying to figure it out.

She does complain that it can rub her wrist, and it gets hot because it is black. I created a nice fabric bracelet to sit underneath it, and I do "Break" the rules by taking it off sometimes (versus on 24/7) but it can get pretty darn warm.

XxAkikazexX

Apr 10, 2013
Chicago
I find it easy to work with. I haven't done much with fences. The feature I liked was if I needed to activate to find her, it would call the police for me. Living in Chicago, that is huge peace of mind because if the device can update them, that is so much more power to find her. With all the bombings and threats...its just peace of mind for us.

AlwaysConcerned

PF Regular
Jul 7, 2013
teenage_parent said:
Hi everyone!

Just thought i'd share this... if anyone is interested in getting a GPS tracking device for their children, I have a client that manufactures GPS trackers. I can get you huge discounts. Maybe even free.

GPS trackers will help you keep track exactly where your child is at any given moment. Knock on wood... we all know that 2,000 children get abducted everyday. A GPS is an added layer of protection.

If your children are studying, you can talk with their school so school buses can get their own GPS trackers for parents to be able to track their children. we can give the GPS trackers for free to the schools.

If you want to check out the different tracker, click atlastracking.com

That's it actually.
There are actually many programs I found that day online which are similar to this, along with other features too! Guess technology is really climbing its way to the top huh?

codesforkids

Jul 22, 2013
MA
Anything that helps protect children and family members in today's world is huge. I can see teenagers not being too happy about it. But most of them have cell phones and it is pretty much the same thing at least in an emergency.
I am curious what other forms of id's and locating do other parents use? If any?

Avianmosquito

Banned
Aug 9, 2013
This feels like an enormous violation of trust. I would understand with a mentally disabled child, but for a healthy child this just feels wrong. This feels wrong the same way putting them on a leash feels wrong.