Grades!!...

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
FO7- you didn't need to explain yourself.
I know, I just want to see why lanceallen feels the need to question me when he doesn't even know me. But it looks like he won't even respond.

I know! :( I hate how she treated him/the other students. Billy hasn't really talked about her anymore but he does seem a little happier about going to her class.

superrod2010

PF Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2010
Utah
Government and unions...
We have such a system in our society in the US today that it takes away too much good and allows too much stupidity. I don't hold much stock in public education unfortunately. I know it's important to "get an education" but I had terrible grades in school and I have done very well just by keeping my creativity and drive to succeed. Of course, I am an entrepreneur and I don't know where that came from. Not everybody has the drive but I feel like it is more important to allow personal creativity than to try to fit everybody in the same mold And lowering grades for being late? When excused?! Messed up!
Personally I don't think the grades matter in the big picture but the self esteem that might be effected because of some stupid teacher who has so much time with my kid, that can be damaging.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
You know a collegue of mine and I were just having that same discsussion. I think as a society we need to find a better way to value different traits rather than try to force everyone into one mold. The president sid he wanted more kids going to college and I disagree. I deal with college students every day and many of them simply don't belong there. It's not going to help them be happy or productive or wealthy. We need to figure out how to get kids the right education for what they are capable of.

Case and point: My colleague has a relative, whos mother is a real dead-beat. She has barely provided for her children's necessitites regardless trying to provide any guideance, education, values or anything for her kids. She doesn't care about education,, so her kids go to school becase they have to. And guess what, they're failing. Horribly. Those kids probably shouldn't be in a traditional school. They probably need to find there way into some kind of training so they can maybe do something they like to do and can do well that would benefit society. Right now, they are headed for a life of crime, becaus nobody has pointed them in the right direction to try to do anything better. It's sad. Now, that whole notion of providing different education for different kids smacks of some kind of socio-economic "Separate but equal." How would we make those decisions of who get's what and when. What do you do with the kid who feels they were diened one opportunity becasue they were sent down a different educational path. Kids learn differently at different times, from different people. Could we really provide this well on an institutional basis?
Maybe our governmental resources should be put toward helping parents assess and make the proper decisions for their kids.

superrod2010

PF Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2010
Utah
I think it all starts in the home and it is an individual responsibility. If we don't try to be better people, each of us individually, then our entire civilization will continue to degrade.
We would do much better to let the private sector take over schools and many other aspects of our civilization. Nobody should have a monopoly on everything we do like government attempts to do. If banks fail, let them fail. Somebody else will step in and pick up. Same with other companies and if we decided to transition schooling to a more private approach it would work just fine. There are already plenty of private schools that do quite well with proper education. The problem with such change is that so many are "comfortable" with the way things are. Never mind that it is slowly taking us down, it's comfortable.
Nothing that is worth it is ever free. I fear I am getting off topic from the grade idea but it just seems to me that the problems we see like this are caused by the system we allow.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
State school isn't free, the payments are just spread over a large timescale making it an affordable option for all parents, and no, making all schools private will not make it affordable for all.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Well jeremy this gets back to the ol US vs UK model. In the US "Public School" is provided for everyone k-12" It's paid for by your taxes. You can't opt not to pay it, so in essense it's "free" because you pay for it whether you use it or not.

superrod2010

PF Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2010
Utah
All I am saying is that there are other options besides Government. Never said it would be affordable but we have not always had things the way they are now and people adapted. Those who wanted to did what they could to educate their children at home. Those who could afford it sent them to the schools available.
What we have today is a system where IADAD showed us. "everyone pays" regardless of whether you use the service or not. The problem with that mentality is that so many people will sit around and do nothing just because they get handed what they need. That leaves the burden to care for them to the rest of us who do work. It's a great idea if all put forth the same amount of effort according to their abilities but that is not what happens.

Satori

PF Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2010
Australia
Grrrr. Takes me back to my school days. Can't believe these gestapo teachers continue to exist in the 21st century. Don't they have kids of their own? Great grades there, Congrats to the kids and the glowing Dad :)

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
They just do. I really don't know. They have to do there homework, and study for test.

In all honesty, it's not us...it's them. They are just overall good kids and don't mind studying and working hard to get good grades.

With Dane I know it's not us because he just want's to keep his spot on the baseball team at Naval Academy next year and he's paranoid over just getting a "B" so he's been studying extra extra hard.

They get their 3rd semester report cards wednesday!

hockeyguy

Jan 16, 2011
So what are you complaining about? Sounds like your kids are hard working and have the grades to show for it. YEah the teacher should be spoken to about this and if you get nowhere, go to the guidance councelor and/or an administrator. It's ridiculous that one ouwl lose points for being late to class when it is medically necessary. Maybe the teacher would like to take responsibility for the consequences if your child doesn't go to the nurse.

Maybe the teacher doesn't like to give out too many A's or maybe the teacher doesn't like your kid. Could be many reasons but I would start complaining and advocate for your kids.....good job dude!

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
I was venting when I wrote this. I'm proud of my kids no matter what (of course)

I knew we would get somewhere with the
parent/teacher conference because this particular teacher is the only one with a problem. The nurse, his other teachers, the principal, vice principal, and every other person he comes into contact with troughout the day it completely understanding of the situation.

We would give the teacher responsibility for consequences but I'm afraid that if it was up to her she would just let him run low or high.

And even if the teacher doesn't like to give out too many A's, I don't care. If a child (whether it be mine or not) deserves an A, that's what they should get..especially when every single paper he ever turned in to that class was an A.

hockeyguy

Jan 16, 2011
That's my exact point, if he deserves an A, he deserves it no matter what the teacher's issue is. My wife is a teacher and I am aware of some of the behind the scene antics and psychological games that are played. There is something going on with this teacher that needs to be addressed. I honestly have no doubt in my mind your kid has done anything wrong, however, he sure pays the price for it. THis teach needs to be taught a lesson him or herself!

mommy2yaya

Jan 20, 2011
TX
I am a teacher in Texas and I suggest you review your school districts grading policy. There have been a lot of changes in many states. For one thing, we cannot give or take points off a grade for any reason other than assignment scores. For example, you can't give bonus points to kids for bringing in a box of tissues and likewise, take away points for being late to class.