Grandparents Names...

oithedad

May 31, 2008
ky
Ok my mother insist on having my dd call her Mimi. I cany stand it my father is Pops wich is what I grew up calling him no problem there. My mothers major complaint is "I to young to be a grandma" mind you she is 60. When I hear Mimi I think of 2 things The Drew Carey show (with my mother make up habits and mental state not to far off) or the Junkie stripper from the musical Rent. Also it confuses Macey because Me is macey so Mimi is said with her pointing at herself Both of my inlaws are grandma/grandpa and younger then my mom, We havehad fights over this and the using of Aunt. I say it as ANT and think the other pronoucation sounds snobby, the rest of her aunts agree but my mother still say it the "highbrow way". Do I grin and bear it?

oithedad

May 31, 2008
ky
ok some spelling errors and work comp wont let me edit cany = cant is the first one I caught

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Sounds to me like this is your mom's problem, not yours or your child's. Ask her if she feels your child calling her mimi will change the fact that she is indeed a grandmother. What difference does it make?

LOL and I hate that snobby way of pronouncing Aunt. I say Ant too :)

Besides, tell her she should just be happy with whatever your DD learns to call her, because it will be her unique way of saying it!

oithedad

May 31, 2008
ky
Tried that and failed. I have 2 nephews that already call her Mimi (my sister hates it to). My mother uses the arguement that it will cofuse my nephews if she is called even Grandma Mimi, wich I could stomach. I have offered other traditonal names sunch as Nanny Nana Grammy ect. But she loves Mimi and has the nerve to correct my wife and me when we say grandma around her

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Hmmm, not sure, but she sure is being stubborn.

Maybe try to make her feel guilty? Like why should it be all about her and what she wants to be called? Children will be children, and what they learn to call someone isn't always going to be what they want to be called.

Hey, my God daughter calls me Bindi, what am I gonna do? Scold her? Or sometimes she calls me NNNNTi indi (aunty mindy)

I would tell her that when she's old enough to understand then she can ask your child to call her whatever she wants, but now she's learning. And your mom is her gramma so that is what she will call her.

LOL, wish I had better advice :)

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Is this really a battle worth fighting? When DH's parents were alive they wanted their grandchildren to call them "Nammy" and "Pa". No one questioned it. I've heard of grandparents called all different things, including Mimi. Personally, I'd let this slide. It's not worth it. If someone is old enough to be a grandparent I think they've earned the right to be called what they want, provided it's not obscene, of course.

FWIW, I grew up pronouncing *aunt* as "ant", because my family is of English roots. However, DH's family is French, and they pronounce it "aunt". It's not snobby at all, it's just the french influence. ;) My kids use both pronunciations, depending on which side of the family the aunt is on. LOL!

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
LOL, that's funny. Baby's girls parents are totally french but say Ant. And my other relatives are totally English and say Aunt. :D

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Mindy said:
LOL, that's funny. Baby's girls parents are totally french but say Ant. And my other relatives are totally English and say Aunt. :D

They've got it mixed up. LOL! Regardless, one pronunciation isn't better than the other, they're just different. Getting hung up on trivial things like this just isn't worth the aggravation as far as I'm concerned. Certainly not worth family conflicts.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
IMO, I think it is really up to the child what they want to call their grandparents (as long as it's not indecent. :) )

My grandparents are Nan and Papa, My mother to my daughter is Meemaw.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
When I grew up, it was Grandma and Grandad on moms side, and Nanny and Pop on dad's.

I have cousins that call theirs Grandma Fryer, and Grandma Frame (last names)...I always thought that was odd and kinda cold. Never would I ever allow that, when K was born I asked mom and dad if they prefered Grandma and Grandad or Nanny and Pop, they was adiment about being G & G....it was cool with me because on mommy's side they are French, so they are Memere and Papere, so no conflict, although Papere was long since passed when she was born.

I think it should be the grandparents decision though.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
HappyMomma said:
IMO, I think it is really up to the child what they want to call their grandparents (as long as it's not indecent. :) )

That works for me, too. :) In fact, that's how "Nammy" and "Pa" got started. That's what the first grandchild called MIL and FIL. Bottom line, it's just not a big deal to me. Life is too short to fret over things like this. Now if my parents were going to let my kids ride in the car unrestrained, I'm NOT going to let that happen! That's a battle worth fighting. ;)

oithedad

May 31, 2008
ky
True life is to short. But I do veiw it as a bit of ungoing disrespect to my wife and I this is a kind of a straw that broke the camels back thing. Long list of things, telling us that we are stupid and the food we feed our daughter is wrong(she likes to give baby girl sweets, fast food we try to give dd as much organic and natural food as possable), baptism debate still ongoing (we didnt and she likes to talk about it to everyone) this is just to name a few. Yes my mother and I have issues still shes my mom

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Aha... so this isn't really this issue at all.

Sheesh, that grandma feeding the junk food thing is frustrating - I've that problem as well.

XOMLE30

PF Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2007
Toledo, ohio THe armpit of the world!
I actually let my parents pick what they wanted to be called. Luckily though I had the luxury of having the first grandchildren. After lots of discussion they finally deceided on Granny and GrandBob ( my dads name is Bob- obviously)

Ultimately though all that matters is that they are even lucky enough to be grandparents. Who cares what they are called. At least they are around to be called something.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
I don't think it matters what a grandparent is called....what matters is the relationship they have with their grandchildren. We have LOTS of names for grandparents in our family.

My mother and stepfather....Grandma and Gramps
My father and stepmother...PawPaw and Grandma Jean
Ex #1's father....Grandpa (last name)
Ex #1's mother and stepfather....Grams and Bubba
Ex #2's father and mother....Poppa and Nannie

DH and me to his grandsons.....Grandpa and Nanna

Oh, and we've always said Aunt in the way NOT like Ant....they're relatives, not insects....LOL.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
oithedad said:
baptism debate still ongoing (we didnt and she likes to talk about it to everyone)
I totally hear you on this one. My brother and I are not baptized. 26 and 24 years old and my parents STILL get grief over that.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Mindy said:
I totally hear you on this one. My brother and I are not baptized. 26 and 24 years old and my parents STILL get grief over that.

It's not necessary unless you've been saved.;)

My kids call my parents Nanny and Papaw. They don't see their dad's parents much, as they live in Cali, but they call them Grandpa Bill and Gramma Marsha.

I think it's up to the child. Let 'em pick.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
i grew up calling my dads parents nanny and grandpa.....and on my moms side grandma (grandpa died 2 years before i was born)

If it means that much to your mom to have her be called Mimi, then is it really worth all the effort and stress to argue about it?
IMO, just let her be called Mimi. A little satisfaction her way may end up giving you some slack in the long run.