Grilling Salmon...

Cthru

PF Fiend
May 11, 2008
Chicago suburbs
We need a food section here *lol*

So I got a nice big fillet of salmon from Sams today, but the trouble is it's skinless. I usually buy it with the skin on one side because it's easier to grill that way. I surfed around the web and I see people grilling this way, but I'm thinking it's just going to fall apart on me.

Am I better off broiling it or is there a trick?

With the skin on i don't even flip it.. this way I'll have to flip it I think?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Oh, I LOVE salmon! I usually broil it with butter, lemon juice and dill spices. I've never tried grilling it myself, but my friend did recently. She wrapped it in foil.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
Cthru said:
Food Forum :cool:

I always ask them to take the skin off my salmon because I'm a wuss.

I've never had it fall apart on me. You could grill it on a plank if you're worried?

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Jun 10, 2008
London, ON
This is making my mouth water. I wish I was a better cook, or I could actually cook. My family eats a lot of BBQ chicken and sidekicks for dinner.

Momof12

PF Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
CA
OK No fair I am going to crave for Salmon!! Enjoy and yes the Foil works take it from this Island Girl!! You can just place all that you would when baking it in the foil and seal it real good it will come out so tender!! Yummy!!</SIZE>[/FONT]
;)

Cthru

PF Fiend
May 11, 2008
Chicago suburbs
Thanks Sirk, but I don't have room in my life for another forum *lol*
Maybe just an area where we could share recipes and cooking tips would be nice. Don't all mom's like to exchange recipes and cooking tips? ;)

I ended up putting foil on the grill and cooking it that way (I didn't seal it). Put some lemon pepper seasoning on it and fresh dill from the garden. It was totally tastey! I didn't flip it either, I just cooked it the same way i would if it had skin, but let the foil act as the skin.

My friend came over and brought an awesome salad (with some basil type dressing on it that was to die for) and we had a great meal :)

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
:jealous: I had a crazy amount of dill last year and was putting it in everything.

I'd make a cooking subforum if it would get used. But I think it could be covered under Health/Nutrition. (Or General in the case of my not so nutritional Chocolate Cranberry cookies. :eek: )

Cthru

PF Fiend
May 11, 2008
Chicago suburbs
Yah, I have a ton of dill this year and CILANTRO.. my god, the cilantro is going crazy. I know i can do salsa with it, but i have to find more things to do with it.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
My cilanto died off early. Which is too bad because I love it.

Everybody tells me mint grows like crazy and chokes out everything else, but I can't get it to take.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
Cthru said:

So I got a nice big fillet of salmon from Sams today, but the trouble is it's skinless. I usually buy it with the skin on one side because it's easier to grill that way. I surfed around the web and I see people grilling this way, but I'm thinking it's just going to fall apart on me.

Am I better off broiling it or is there a trick?

With the skin on i don't even flip it.. this way I'll have to flip it I think?
What type of Salmon is it? .. This is actually important..

Best way I have found to do salmon (I live on the ocean) is wrapped in foil .. brush outside with olive oil ... then slices (thin) of butter on the inside ... fill belly with the butter .. fresh minced garlic (to taste), nice large onion rings ( I prefer the purple onions) some dill, fresh cracked pepper, and light sea salt.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
mmmmm... that sounds far too good to be reading just before lunch! I'm guessing that she's probably bought the little filets that you get from teh store rather than a whole fish. I've ever seen whole salmon available here at all... not that my 3-y-o and I could eat that much anway...

I tried a post about a little recipe exchange, and it didn't take too well. Which is unfortunate. I'm always looking for inexpensive, good things to make...

Cthru

PF Fiend
May 11, 2008
Chicago suburbs
hwnorth said:
What type of Salmon is it? .. This is actually important..

Best way I have found to do salmon (I live on the ocean) is wrapped in foil .. brush outside with olive oil ... then slices (thin) of butter on the inside ... fill belly with the butter .. fresh minced garlic (to taste), nice large onion rings ( I prefer the purple onions) some dill, fresh cracked pepper, and light sea salt.

The label said 'skinless salmon fillet' small print says it's farm raised. It was only 12.00 for a huge whole side filletl, and it was pink not a coral color so I'm sure it is not sockeye salmon (much more expensive here).

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
Cthru - I would assume its an east coast farmed salmon .. not a pacific salmon. I find farmed salmon softer texture and am actually against eating them due to the farming process. I do understand though that I live 300 feet from the Pacific Ocean and therefore have a choice ... people away from the ocean arent always given those choices .. at least not at a reasonable price.

Try the above recipe though ... Im sure you will enjoy it. A variation to that is BBQ it... but on a piece of cedar. If you can access a piece of clear Red Cedar (without ANY coatings), soak it in cold water for at least 24 hours ... put your salmon on the cedar plank and BBQ it ...

Cthru

PF Fiend
May 11, 2008
Chicago suburbs
I will def try the recipe. We had a cedar plank before and use to grill with it. After a few times it kind of char'd up/wore out. Thanks for the reminder to replace it..that is awesome flavor.