Gummy Vitamins...

going2thebeach

PF Regular
May 13, 2008
New York
So, I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on those gummy vitamins. My son (2.5 yrs) loves them (probably more than he should love a vitamin) which leads me to believe that they are just candy in disguise. Any thoughts? Does anyone else use these?

hawtmama

PF Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2008
AZ
I used to eat those all the time until I got preggo and on prenatals :yummy:

Seem legit to me, but I'd ask the pediatrician just in case.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
As long as you only give him one a day, I don't see how they're any different than regular children's vitamins. Of course, as with all other pills and medicines, they should be locked away in the cabinet to prevent wee ones from getting into them.

We tried gummy vitamins when my kids were little. I threw them out after DD nearly choked on one the second time. For whatever reason she couldn't chew the gummy ones properly and would try to swallow them :eek: She did fine with the regular chewables.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
I dont give Bek any vitamin tablets because theyre simply not worth the money.

Watch the sugar levels, just because theyre vitamins dosent mean that theyre not bad for your teeth.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I don't like regular childrens vitamins unless they are natural food based (they make gummy of that kind though)
those gummies are so sugary and the ones that say sugar free are aspertane. Even worse!!!
Most children do not need vitamins as long as they eat healthy but if you feel they need them, I would go to a specialty store (whole Foods ect, type stores) they sell all natural vitamins. Vitamins that are synthetic are wated in the body

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
I greatly dislike the gummy vitamins. I think it sends the wrong message. They look just like gummy bears. How is a kid supposed to tell the difference between candy and vitamins? I think vitamins should look and taste like vitamins. Not exactly tasty but good for you, kinda like broccoli or carrots.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
I grew up on Flinstones Vitamins, and have passed it on to K. She gets one every morning, and will always remind me if I forget. She eats it after her breakfast.

Question for Cthru....why is your ped recommending 2 a day of the gummy ones for a 4 year old?, are they like a half dose each?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Music-dad said:
Question for Cthru....why is your ped recommending 2 a day of the gummy ones for a 4 year old?, are they like a half dose each?
I wondered the same thing, but recently bought a bottle of Flintstones Gummy vitamins and the directions say: <I>Adults and children 4 years and older: Chew two gummies daily. </I>

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
I also grew up on flinstones vitamins and I LOVED them! Not exactly sure what is in them, but they taste pretty good for vitamins!

Slightly OT, but when I was about 15 mths old, my mom said I somehow got a hold of a bottle of baby tylenol and opened it. I ate most of the bottle and my mom called poison control right away. They actually told her I didn't even have to go to the hospital, and that there wasn't enough medication in the whole bottle to hurt me! They said it was more or less peace of mind for the parents, will just a little bit of actual medication in it. Strange.

Cthru

PF Fiend
May 11, 2008
Chicago suburbs
Music-dad said:
I grew up on Flinstones Vitamins, and have passed it on to K. She gets one every morning, and will always remind me if I forget. She eats it after her breakfast.

You know.. I'm not sure. I told him I was giving him one and he said he can actually have 2. Now, I'm not sure if it is due to how much he weighs now (i assumed that at the time), or the fact that he gets chronic chest colds or if it was the brand I'm giving him (different brand found at Sams). I'm actually going in there today so I'll ask about it again.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Hey get this....I just looked up prices at Walgreens website for childrens vitamins...here's what I found.

Flintstones Chewable Vitamins (the kind I have) $7.49 / 60 vitamins
and
Flintstones Gummy Vitamins $7.49 / 60 vitamins

As mentioned earlier you give 2 gummies for 4 and over, however on the chewables the label says 1 per day.

What a great marketing scam...gummies are double the price.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Music-dad said:
Hey get this....I just looked up prices at Walgreens website for childrens vitamins...here's what I found.

Flintstones Chewable Vitamins (the kind I have) $7.49 / 60 vitamins
and
Flintstones Gummy Vitamins $7.49 / 60 vitamins

As mentioned earlier you give 2 gummies for 4 and over, however on the chewables the label says 1 per day.

What a great marketing scam...gummies are double the price.
Yes, I hate when they do that. Grrr... FWIW, I bought a bottle of 200 at BJ's (a wholesale club) for about that price.

BTW, where have you been, stranger?! You have been missed.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Trina said:
Yes, I hate when they do that. Grrr... FWIW, I bought a bottle of 200 at BJ's (a wholesale club) for about that price.

BTW, where have you been, stranger?! You have been missed.
Did they have the chewables at BJ's also in the 200 pack? I would imagine that no matter how you look at it, the chewables are more economical.

Don't forget to "rinse and <U>repeat</U>" too when you wash your hair - hahaha...I've always got a kick out of that shampoo instruction.

I was out touring for a while (K came with, and had the time of her life... other band members brought kids), that and some weekend camping, fun in the sun, and a few overnight boat trips.

I missed you all too!!!

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Oh, no doubt the chewables are still cheaper, but my DD won't take them, so between the choice of vitamins or no vitamins, the gummies win. I'm not going to waste my time with that battle. KWIM? LOL!

Sounds like the two of you are having a great summer. :)

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Trina said:
Oh, no doubt the chewables are still cheaper, but my DD won't take them, so between the choice of vitamins or no vitamins, the gummies win. I'm not going to waste my time with that battle. KWIM? LOL!

Sounds like the two of you are having a great summer. :)
Totally agree with you Trina, not a battle worth fighting...and when it comes down to it, at the Walgreens price the vitamins are 12 cents each (at the Bj's price they're 3 cents each)....so I wouldn't think that should be an issue for anyone. I just think it's a bit sinister that the company will sell you half the vitamin amount (the rest being gummy ingredients) for the same price, when realistically gummy bears are one of the cheapest candies on the market to produce.

I also have no problem with them looking like candies, after all look at Skittles, they look like pills, and I have a bright red carpet cleaner that looks like juice, all of which are locked up and out of reach. (including the Skittles... they're mine;) )