Had a mini panic attack at 3am...

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
I got up to check Billy's blood sugar this morning (Keep in mind it's 3am and I have had about an hour of sleep).
Kaitlyn's room is right next to Billy's. She woke up for some reason (OK, fine..I stepped on a GI Joe and ran into the wall) came into Billy's room and wanted me to check her too. Fine, whatever.

I check Billy...190. Hmm, a little high for him at that time of the day but he has some Insulin left (Insulin On Board) so I didn't correct. Check Kaitlyn...501 HOLY SH*T. "Kait, go wash your hands for me and I'll check again ok?" (As I try to keep myself from falling to the ground and having a heart attack.

She goes into the bathroom across the hall and I realize I had the meter upside down and her BG was 105...completely normal. :eek:

Have you done anything "stupid" lately?

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Billy laughed at me so hard. It went like this.

Me: Kait, go wash your hands
Kait: (happily) OK!
Billy: What's wrong
Me: nothing, you're meter made a mistake
Billy: ohhhhhkkkkkkkkkk
Me: (Looks at meter) oh...(turns meter around
Billy: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Me: go to bed weirdo, Kait, nevermind, your father is an idiot
Kait: I know

and then we all went back to bed

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
hahah that whole stories funny. and nope...but i probably will soon cus i said that. knock on wood :eek:

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
I couldn't. It was kind of a mixture of fear (what if one of the other kids gets Diabetes) and laughter.

And Amber is sick so i'm doing everything with the kids and taking care of her. I'm completely exhausted.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
I had a mini heart attack yesterday too! I had a message on my machine from the clinic that said, "We have to redo your infant's PKU test, please call us for an appointment." I started shaking and picked up the phone and dialed 4 times before I got it right (I have phone phobia, so picking up the phone is a stresser all by it's self).

They need to redo it because they LOST it. I was so relieved that it was that instead of a 'bad' result. The lady on the phone said, "Well, we do not like to stick babies..." she was confused as to why I was glad the test needed to be redone. Anyhow... bummer that Ilo has to get poked again. Relief that the first PKU test didn't show anything bad...

As for stupid stuff, my list goes on and on!! Recently I keep trying to put stuff away in completely inappropriate places. Like, milk, in the bathroom cabinet. And a dirty diaper in the refrigerator. duh?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Father_0f_7 said:
Me: go to bed weirdo, Kait, nevermind, your father is an idiot
Kait: I know

Classic.

I hate stupid stuff like that - glad it all turned out well.

(guess you'll have to update that Aubrun info in your siggy...I bet nobody is booing Chizek when he gets off this airplane...)

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
I know! I was really excited. Dylan, Dane and Billy watched it with me. We were all screaming and cheering...I think we woke up the neighbors.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
Great season and great win. But I havent a worse case of bad sportsmanship by a team in a season in a long time. And I think that reflects directly on the coach, especially when he doesnt ever address it.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Unfortunately I agree. That is not the type of players I want to root for and this year we have had a lot of problems with it. Nick Fairley gets a lot of flack for playing dirty, some he deserves, some not so much. That being said, there were a few times last night where (even though we were winning) it was a horrible thing to watch.

I had to look at my boys and tell them if I ever saw them playing dirty like that, I don't care what the coach says, I will pull you out of that game myself.

Sometimes good sportsmanship is better than a Win. Know what I mean?

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
Father_0f_7 said:
Unfortunately I agree. That is not the type of players I want to root for and this year we have had a lot of problems with it. Nick Fairley gets a lot of flack for playing dirty, some he deserves, some not so much. That being said, there were a few times last night where (even though we were winning) it was a horrible thing to watch.

I had to look at my boys and tell them if I ever saw them playing dirty like that, I don't care what the coach says, I will pull you out of that game myself.

Sometimes good sportsmanship is better than a Win. Know what I mean?
Definitely, and totally agree. Fairley is gonna be a stud in the NFL, but there is no reason to act the way he does. It bugs me that a coach would put up with that for the sake of winning.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Generally, if you had diabetes for sure, you would probably know by now... Why would you think you have it?

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
I guess I could answer your question as well. lol

I think i've actually explained it all here before but the short story is...

In one month we watched him lose 20 pounds (only weighed 61 before, he was down to 40). He was extrememly tired, getting more and more hungry, frequent bathroom breaks. He was getting in trouble at school, at home and everytime we asked him to do something he was acting like a spoiled brat. He was EXTREMELY irritable.
He was also REALLY REALLY thirsty. We were having dinner at CiCi's and he was drinking water, his entire glass was empty by the time we got to our seats, he wen't and filled it up again...drank half of it before he even sat down. This happened until we left, at that time he had drank 8 glasses of water and he trew up twice on the way to the car.

He was getting ready for bed and looking for a t-shirt that night and I could see his ribs.

We wen't to the hospital and they diagnosed him with Type 1 (juvenile) Diabetes on Spetember 19, 2009 with a blood glucose of 854 (normal is between 80-120).

We spent 3 days in the hospital learning how to mix insulin, count carbs, signs of low BG, high BG, what do do if he has a siezure or becomes unconscience, what a serving size looks like...everything we needed to know.
Came home after that and we were on our own.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Denver, Colorado 3oh3! <3
Father_0f_7 said:
I guess I could answer your question as well. lol

I think i've actually explained it all here before but the short story is...

In one month we watched him lose 20 pounds (only weighed 61 before, he was down to 40). He was extrememly tired, getting more and more hungry, frequent bathroom breaks. He was getting in trouble at school, at home and everytime we asked him to do something he was acting like a spoiled brat. He was EXTREMELY irritable.
He was also REALLY REALLY thirsty. We were having dinner at CiCi's and he was drinking water, his entire glass was empty by the time we got to our seats, he wen't and filled it up again...drank half of it before he even sat down. This happened until we left, at that time he had drank 8 glasses of water and he trew up twice on the way to the car.

He was getting ready for bed and looking for a t-shirt that night and I could see his ribs.

We wen't to the hospital and they diagnosed him with Type 1 (juvenile) Diabetes on Spetember 19, 2009 with a blood glucose of 854 (normal is between 80-120).

We spent 3 days in the hospital learning how to mix insulin, count carbs, signs of low BG, high BG, what do do if he has a siezure or becomes unconscience, what a serving size looks like...everything we needed to know.
Came home after that and we were on our own.
Thats kind of what I am going through.
I can't seem to get enough water, I have been throwing up, I have been angry, irritable, I pee ALL THE TIME, the other night I literally peed like once an hour.
If I don't eat I get irritable, my head starts to hurt and I get confused and really pissy ans dizzy.
If I eat too much of something or if I eat crap, I get really jittery and my head starts to hurt and my vision gets blurry.