Halloween Costumes?...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
So, for those of you that do Trick-or-Treating, does anybody know what their kids are going to be for Halloween this year? Its coming up quick! Are your kids looking forward to it?

I was excited because this was the first year Eli was able to pick his own costume! I searched through a couple of websites with him, and he liked a lot of costumes, but he got really excited when he saw the police man costume and the fireman costume. Ultimately he decided that he wanted to be a fireman. He's REALLY excited! I told him I ordered it and that we just had to wait for the delivery truck to bring it to us, and he keeps looking out our window and saying "My fireman costume is coming! I'm waiting for it!" lol. I paid a little more for it than I originally planned, but its really good quality and I figure he'll probably wear it around for play enough even after Halloween to make the price worth it. :)

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
That is so cute!! Not sure what my guy will be this year. Last year he was a bush. He wants to be one again....but I think the tree would up and die on me if I cut any more branches off. I usually make his costumes, but I'd love to buy one this year!!! Bad lazy mom. Would love to hear of any easy suggestions from all of you!!! I don't think I can handle too much this year with the pregnancy making me huge and wearing me out.

Couple pics of previous costumes...
Bush, and a "Scary Unknown" (completely designed by son)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Those are SO CUTE!!! I wish I was crafty like that, I would love to make Eli's costumes! I'm just not very creative lol or that great with a needle. I can work a sewing machine and all, but that's about it haha.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Thanks! I thought the bush turned out really good. Much better than I thought. The branches are from a bay rum tree, and he smelled really good, and it's a natural mosquito repellent!

That idea won out over his first choice...Usain Bolt. When I asked him how we would achieve the look of the Jamaican sprint runner, he said "I can get some face paint...." That's where I cut him off. It kind of warmed my heart that he had no idea how offensive that would be. Our community is pretty racially diverse, and my husband is black...so racism is not even in his vocabulary.

The "Scary Unknown" was pretty silly. I just let him pick through the scrap pile and we just started building the goofy costume. But, I don't think I have that kind of time or energy this time around.

Living in the tropics...it can be hard to get a store bought costume since they are usually all designed for cold weather. He did say he'd like to be a polar bear (after some silly character on Disney Channel?) But I can't think of a way to achieve that without him boiling. I'm hoping we get hit with a bright idea soon!

Eli is going to have a blast with that costume for a long time. It does look like it's really well made. Where did you order it from???

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
LOL 3sACrowd!

julie- I got it online, on a site called FantasyToyland, but its not the best costume site on the net, it just happened to have what I was looking for. The costume is made by "Aeromax", and they make really good quality "little gear" for kids. You should see their astronaut costume, its awesome!! I always hate buying a costume and it looking like it was poorly made and out of crap fabrics (which most of them are), but Aeromax makes their stuff really well and with good fabric, and they make it look pretty realistic! Makes me feel like I'm not wasting my money, you know? lol

http://www.aeromaxtoys.com/Products_kids.html

(I swear I'm not trying to advertise LOL)

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
We don't really have trick or treating either. The way our island is set up, it's just not conducive to going house to house. No neighborhoods, houses perched on hillsides. One of the shopping complexes has a party and the kids go from shop to shop and get treats and the grown ups hang at the bar (I know, I know, not the best thing, but that is also how this island works).

Thanks for the link. I checked out the site and the costumes do look like good quality. You are right, most of them are so junky and expensive. I like the astronaut costume too! But it looks like they would all be to hot to wear in the tropics. There are a couple short costumes, but I don't think my 9 year old would 'go' for them. A little too young.

We better get on the ball though....otherwise he is going to have to wear my clothes and be a GIRL!!! EWWWWW!!!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Do you have very warm weather in October? The warm costumes work out nicely for us because PA is darn near winterized by the end of October lol. That's a bummer there's no Trick or Treating in Australia or the UK. :/

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
It's hot here in October. We don't start to cool off until November/December. It's the humidity that gets ya though. It's 90ish with high humidity. A lot of the store bought costumes are made with synthetic materials, so they don't breath. NOT a good option for the tropics!

I have a bunch of white sheeting...and other misc fabric...I've been trying to think of something to make with that. Maybe a marshmallow???

tiggyboo

Oct 15, 2010
Our 4 year old will be wearing a Tasha costume made by my wife. Problem is, she wants me to be Uniqua - I'm a 53 year old man :) But if somebody makes it, I'll wear it!

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Looks like I'm off the hook with the sewing machine......the decision has been made....iPod Touch is what the little man wants to be. Now I just have to find a bunch of cardboard and paint to make it happen. I'm sure it is will be more challenging that it sounds right now! I thought it'd be cool if I could some how rig it so it had a sliding screen on the front...but I don't want to even suggest that to him because that might be too ambitious. Can't wait to see some pictures of all the little guys at Halloween!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Weather is always an issue for us too, if you plan a thinner/less covered costume it ends up being freezing, if you plan something fuzzy and heavy it tursn out to be hot. So far this month we've had temps in the 30s and temps in the 80's and it's not a chronological slide... As they say, "if you don't like the weather, stick around a while."

DW did costume shopping last night (no talent for creating much of anything from scratch here)

DS1 picked out some scary guy thing, not really sure what it is, other than it has a scary purple mask, these cool "scary hand gloves" a cape and an amulet... I think the attraction was all the "stuff" that came with it.

DS2 is going as a "Bampire"

J.Cole

Oct 15, 2010
Kansas
My son told me he wanted to be Micheal Jackson this year--he IS my son! I was beginning to wonder after all that sports stuff he is into. The girls aren't sure yet. Any ideas as for a Micheal Jackson trio?

Note: I have a lot to pull from around the house but don't do any sewing of my own.