Hand Foot and Mouth disease? Freaking out!...

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
A baby in Nolan's room in daycare has HF&M disease! They sent home a sheet of paper today saying someone had it and that if he got it he couldn't come to daycare until it was gone. Ughhhh I cannot even begin to deal with this right now. This has me so stressed out :(

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
<r>It's scary, but knowing everything you can helps. <br/>
<br/>
<URL url="</s>Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease: Fast Facts | CDC - Respiratory Viral Diseases<e></e></URL>
<QUOTE><s>
</s>Hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) is a common viral illness of infants and children. The disease causes fever and blister-like eruptions in the mouth and/or a skin rash. HFMD is often confused with foot-and-mouth (also called hoof-and-mouth) disease, a disease of cattle, sheep, and swine; however, the two diseases are not related—they are caused by different viruses. Humans do not get the animal disease, and animals do not get the human disease. <br/>
<br/>
<B><s></s>Illness <e></e></B><br/>
-The disease usually begins with a fever, poor appetite, malaise (feeling vaguely unwell), and often with a sore throat. <br/>
- One or 2 days after fever onset, painful sores usually develop in the mouth. They begin as small red spots that blister and then often become ulcers. The sores are usually located on the tongue, gums, and inside of the cheeks. <br/>
- A non-itchy skin rash develops over 1–2 days. The rash has flat or raised red spots, sometimes with blisters. The rash is usually located on the palms of the hands and soles of the feet; it may also appear on the buttocks and/or genitalia. <br/>
- A person with HFMD may have only the rash or only the mouth sores. <br/>
<br/>
<B><s></s>Treatment and Medical Management <e></e></B><br/>
There is no specific treatment for HFMD. <br/>
<br/>
Symptoms can be treated to provide relief from pain from mouth sores and from fever and aches: <br/>
<br/>
Fever can be treated with antipyretics (drugs that reduce fevers). <br/>
<br/>
Pain can be treated with acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or other over-the-counter pain relievers. <br/>
<br/>
Mouthwashes or sprays that numb pain can be used to lessen mouth pain. <br/>
<br/>
Fluid intake should be enough to prevent dehydration (lack of body fluids). If moderate-to-severe dehydration develops, it can be treated medically by giving fluids through the veins.
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

The most comforting part is this (mined from the front and the end of that article):
<QUOTE><s>
</s>Coxsackievirus A16 is the most common cause of HFMD... HFMD caused by coxsackievirus A16 infection is a mild disease. Nearly all patients recover in 7 to 10 days without medical treatment.
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

Lots more information there for anyone who is interested.</r>

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Thanks guys...Zeit I was already on the CDC website..
The last part is actually what has me so stressed out. I can only miss 6 days of school before I fail because you are required to have so many hours of experiance to pass. I don't have anyone to watch him if he has to stay home from daycare :( From what I've read the actual virus is usually not very painful unless you are unlucky and get the big blisters.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
My DD had this as a toddler. NOT fun! She had the blisters, high fever and was absolutely miserable for a week. Would not, could not sleep anywhere but ON me. In fact, she was a fussy velcro baby that entire time. I was so happy and totally exhausted by the time she got better.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
:eek: Omg!!!!! MY BABY HAS IT!!!! :cry: She came home from daycare today with bad rashes on both of her hands and sores developing on the inside of her mouth. Nothing on her feet yet, but it's just setting in. This is so horrible! This just absolutely kills my plans for the weekend...she was going to go spend the night with her nana on Saturday and see her Nanny on Sunday...this kills both of it, and she's soooo disappointed. This sucks! :(

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I know I already told you this, but I am SO SORRY Steve and I am thinking about you guys and hoping Delaney gets better as fast as possible!! Poor baby. No one likes to see their little ones sick or in pain.