Harmless fun or exploitation?...

What do you think of Toddlers & Tiaras?...

• It's just harmless fun for little girls and their mothers...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's shameless exploitation and sexualising of children and should be stopped....

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • It's not something I would do, but I don't mind others doing it....

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
singledad said:
Well, considering the fact that everyone seems to be against the show, even if every isn't against pageants as such, I can't help but wonder who watches it? Obviously enough people so to keep the show on the air, but I can't for the life of me figure out who they are! Surely there aren't enough pageant moms for them alone to keep it going?
I think it's like others have said. It's a train wreck that you just can't believe is happening. I have seen clips of it, but as I have a little girl that age, I can't watch more than that. It hits too close to home for me to watch it impartially. However, I'll admit to watching Maury Povich which is sort of the same in that you just can't believe that there are people like that in real life and you feel a bit of a voyeur for watching them. The problem with this show is that there are children involved and it really borders on abuse.

DadofTeen

Jan 18, 2012
California
I think this is outrageous exploitation by mothers AND fathers.

I have 2 daughters (18 and 1.5). I'd never enter them in this type of pageant.

I think that the mothers on the show are just trying to live out a dream that they never could.

I think it promotes the wrong "values" to these children by instilling sense of self worth through judging, use of make up and costumes and over-the-top parents.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
I haven't seen that show. We don't get shows like that on free to air Australian tv but if alegra asked me at some point of she could enter a pagent I would take her and let her make up her own mind I wouldn't dress her up in a sexually explicit way or use make up because children are beautiful. Makeup is to hide blemishes children don't need it.

But I don't want to deny my children opportunities to explore things they are interested in regardless of my personal objection to pageants and over bearing pageant mothers

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
We don't have child pageants in the UK, we have like miss england etc which is adult only but that is weird enough and it isn't a popular or publicised thing. Taking your child to a competition based on looks is sick, there are no two ways about it.

Andrea Brown

Jan 5, 2012
We never entered our daughter in a kiddie pageant because we wanted our clear message to be that inner beauty is far more important than physical beauty. It was an issue, because she is extremely beautiful. We decided that if she wanted to model, she could do so when she was older.

Needless to say, she is 21 now and has been a model for 5 years. Did keeping her away from kiddie pageants hinder her career? Not at all. However, she will not model any clothes that are too revealing because she wants to be able to show her children her photos without hesitation. She and her partner are expecting their first child this May.

We would make the same decision again. Our daughter is a very smart girl and knows that she is valued for her character, kindness and inner beauty, the special beauty that lasts.

Daisy-M

Jan 13, 2012
As much as I agree that inner beauty is what matters most in the end, it can't be denied that a persons physical appearance is what is noticed first. We are all more likely to approach a person who is attractive, we all want the attention from those people. That being said, everyone's definition of what is attractive is different.
I would never have entered my daughter in pageants when she was a little kid, she was always more tomboy-ish any way. Now that she is in her teens, she poses for a couple local photographers and knows that she is very attractive and knows she can use that to her advantage.
I personally see nothing wrong with entering kids in pageants, if that is what the child wants to do. If the child decides they dont want to, then that should be the end of it

The_Dad

Jan 24, 2012
I find that show to be utter garbage and would never subject my daughter to the rigors that these parents do. I'm curious to see what these kids will be like in 10 years...

robin480az

Jan 24, 2012
i have 4 girls ages 23,21,19,17 and a 4 yr old son..i hate the show,,they make small girls look 21,fake teeth,sexy outfits,,its sick..there is NOTHING sexy about a child,the moms give them red bulls and pixie sticks to wake them up to preform ect..hate it

apochimongitus

Jan 24, 2012
The_Dad said:
I find that show to be utter garbage and would never subject my daughter to the rigors that these parents do. I'm curious to see what these kids will be like in 10 years...
From what I've seen on the Telly (and I know that is not exactly a clear picture of the pageant industry) many of the Mums were pageant girls themselves and seem to believe it to be a necessary part of their daughter's life. I find it disturbing some of the songs that get sung by these children as they have no way of understanding the lyrics... I've noticed that the parents seem to be always trying to get 'an edge' on the competition and I think this tends to drive the more 'morally degraded' aspect of the pageants.

Cheers,

Apochimongitus.