having friends over on school nights...

MamaRuthie

PF Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2013
melbourne
do you allow it?? why/why not?? we have rules about it like if its to work on a school assignment then that's okay but for fun it has to be on the weekend also no sleepovers on school nights

Maser

PF Regular
Sep 25, 2010
CA
No problem whatsoever here. As long as homework is done and bedtimes are obeyed and school is attended, what's the issue? Obviously it's a no-no if the kids are just gonna stay up all night playing video games, but if them and the adults caring for them are diligent enough to keep them on their school schedules, then all is good in my book.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
With the little ones we don't do school night sleepovers, mainly because I don't need an added child to get ready for school in the morning. Some exceptions, currently Lux has a friend staying with us because her mother is interstate on business and all her relatives live too far from the school to take her there. But that's different.

With the older ones it happens sometimes, not that often though.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Sleepovers are pretty much weekend only things with us (and seemingly everyone at our school)

I don't know that we'd be categorically opposed if a kid needed a place to cover a parents absence or something like that, but that seems different than a "sleepover" there's a connotation of a fun night had by all, in that term.

So, yes, we'd house a child on a school night if needed, but a fun sleepover, no that's weekend stuff.

bobspock100

Banned
Jan 10, 2015
amsterdam, netherlands
I am in favor of weekend only. I would not prevent it during the week if it appeared to be the thing to do on an occasion. my 13 yr old son has a 11 yr old girl neighbor that stays over on Friday night because of not having school the next morning, so they can sleep late.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
I don't mind friends over on a school night but there often isn't other kids over here as me and my daughters dad's scheduled make it difficult for her to have a social life on weekdays. She can hang out with a friend for an hour but then she has to go to her grandparents.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I don't think there would be time. Kids get home from school around 4:00 and bedtime prep is 8:00, so there's four hours in which to cram dinner, homework, and some play time. Factor in the travel and you wouldn't have much time at all. Maybe if they were neighbors they could come over, but we don't have any neighbor kids in my kids' age range. So it just seems like weekdays are too busy.