He Just Wont Eat!...

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
when kids first learn to eat think of it as "adventures in food" more than nutrition.

Also, once they're fully on to solids... if they're hungry: they'll eat. Plain and simple. A kid who's not eating is telling you that he's not interested, not hungry, not growing today, don't need it thanks mum.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Actually just to update, he's been eating a LITTLE tiny bit more decent the last couple of days, while he's been more on the milk (all day but one bottle of formula at night). He ate a ton of spaghetti at the Olive Garden tonight. It was cute. He's actually been doing ok with eating the last few days it seems. Thanks for the advice.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
my kids are still weird about food. They'll sit and stare at their dinner for 45 minutes every single night and then, every single night, be somehow surprised and hurt when their plates get taken away untouched and they get sent to the bath without playing because they wasted food.

As if it were a big surprise.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Haha, kids are so funny sometimes. You just wonder what they're thinking.

angela1961

Aug 30, 2008
hampshire, england
My daughter who is now 11 has never been interested in food. All i can say is children appear to be able to exist on next to nothing. My daughter now weights only 3 stone but she has loads of energy and is never ill so i have given up worrying about it. Don't worry as long as he is healthy.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
angela1961 said:
My daughter who is now 11 has never been interested in food. All i can say is children appear to be able to exist on next to nothing. My daughter now weights only 3 stone but she has loads of energy and is never ill so i have given up worrying about it. Don't worry as long as he is healthy.
I reckon the trouble comes in when they survive on 'next to' nothing - ie, when you put a perfectly good meal in front of them and they pick out the meat and leave the rest. That's not ok.

You don't gotta eat but what you do eat has gotta be good. Oh, and don't waste food.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
evilbrent said:
I reckon the trouble comes in when they survive on 'next to' nothing - ie, when you put a perfectly good meal in front of them and they pick out the meat and leave the rest. That's not ok.

You don't gotta eat but what you do eat has gotta be good. Oh, and don't waste food.
I couldn't agree with you more

angela1961

Aug 30, 2008
hampshire, england
My daughter does have medical reasons why she can't eat much. But at the end of the day she manages fine. It is more of a problem for other people. I have had one school force feeding her and making her sick because although they were aware of her problems they thought she was "attention seeking" so took it upon themselves to "make" her eat. She would not eat at all for weeks after that and i changed her school. A dietation once told me is does not matter what you eat(biscuits instead of meet etc) as long as you are eating something. To my daughter 2 chicken nuggets and 10 chips is a big meal and it takes her forever to eat it.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I wanted to update again. Eli is eating GREAT. It turns out, as I've observed, the formula was actually the problem. Since it has all the nutrition as a full meal, why would he have the urge to eat food when he knows he has formula that does the same thing and he's used to it? Now that he's been drinking only milk for the last few days, he's been eating more and more and more. It's really a drastic turn around. I still give him a bottle of formula right before bed just to be safe, and also to make sure he's held over for the night with nutrition, but other than that he only gets milk. He's been eating quite a bit during every meal, and snacking in between every now and again too. I'm going to start him on the cup tomorrow, all but one bottle at night. I'll probably stop the night bottle maybe in a week or two. I don't expect a big fight by the looks of it, but you never know so wish me luck!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
You could puree (sp?) it and mix it into spaghetti sauce or something lol. If you're concerned about her getting what she needs I mean. Getting her to eat it... maybe it needs more flavor? I'm not too sure.

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
She'll chew it up but she spits it out. It's disgusting when we go out. LOL.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Won't??

Well at first I thought "You should count your lucky stars - my kids, that's ALL they'll eat" - but then I thought that's a bit weird.

Is it too salty or something? What about mince in spaghetti sauce?