Healthy Eating?...

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
Do any of you have suggestions for how I can get my five year old daughter to eat more healthy foods? I am trying to get her to eat enough nutrients in her food that she won't need a vitamin suppliment.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Yeah, i face the same issue with my 5 year old. I swear, the only thing she wants to eat is chicken nuggets and fries. Alot of times I'll compromise with her and say "OK, you can have nuggets, but you have to have fruit instead of fries". Or sometimes, when I'm in the mood, I'll say "Look, this is what we're having for dinner, either eat it or go hungry"...she'll eat.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Do you eat good foods? I don't mean to point figners at you, just speaking from my experience when DW and I are eating healthier, we have better foods around the house and that's what we all eat.

Making food fun can help if they are foods she likes okay, just doesn't happen to very often eat, or not eat unless presented to her, stuff like "ants on a log..."

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I eat healthily but my husband likes white bread and candy and chips and all kinds of junk food he refuses to give up. I try to encourage my children to eat like I do but they'd rather eat like their father.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
you can make it game...have her go to the store with you and in the produce section have her pick something red, green, yellow, orange, purple...giving her a choice will help her want to try more

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
some of what you can do is sneak things in.
like when ya make a meatloaf---add grated carrots to it.
if ya make a cake---use apple sauce instead of the oil.
hope this link helps some.
Can I Substitute Applesauce in Baking?
making cookies---add raisins and chopped nuts.
making sandwhiches--use wheat bread instead of white.
stock up on the healthy stuff and try to keep as little junkfood as possible in the house.
get the kiddos involved in the shopping.
get dad to help.
use the lowfat cheeses in things like omlets and sandwhiches.
create mini pizzas by topping whole-wheat English muffins with pizza sauce and part-skim mozzarella; make grilled cheese sandwiches appealing by using cookie cutters to create fun shapes.
do the dips like fruit slices with yogurt.
get the kids involved with making the meals as much as possible.

mostly. because our kids were wasting their food all the time, we've gotten to where we tell them--eat what ya get or go hungry until the next meal. eat 3/4's of your meal and you can have A snack, not 2 3 or 4 snacks but A snack. we've heard more than one parent say this.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
gr8mom said:
I eat healthily but my husband likes white bread and candy and chips and all kinds of junk food he refuses to give up. I try to encourage my children to eat like I do but they'd rather eat like their father.
Not to pry, but who does the shopping at your house? If it happens to be you, why do you buy the junk for him?

Is there a particular concern for her eating habits?

Does your husband share your concern for her heatlh? If not, why not, and if so, why isn't he willing to help out and be a role model.

Is it possible that there's a difference in definition about what "eating healthily" means in your household? Is it possible to compromise some? For instance maybe white bread isn't so bad as long as there are vegetables and less sweets to go along with it....

I know you asked for ideas about helping her eat heathily, but it seems like there might be an environmental issue in your household that leaves you beating your head against a wall, which ultimately won't do your daughter much good.

Again, not meant to pry and you don't have to answer me, maybe those are just things to think about, and handle within your family.

abbey.barclay

Banned
Jul 9, 2009
The American Heart Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics suggest that families with children shop with these guidelines in mind:

* Eat vegetables and fruits every day.
* Limit juice intake.
* Use vegetable oils, especially ones high in monounsaturated fat such as olive and canola, and soft margarines that are low in saturated fat and trans-fatty acids instead of butter, shortening, or most other animal fats.
* Eat whole-grain rather than refined-grain breads, cereals, pasta, and rice products.
* Reduce the amount of sugar-sweetened beverages and foods in your family's diet.
* Use nonfat or low-fat milk and dairy products daily.
* Eat more fish, especially oily fish that is broiled or baked.
* Reduce salt.

ellen21

PF Regular
Jul 15, 2009
hi know its really a tuff job making kids eat vegetables but certain things can be done like turn off the TV while giving meals , eat together as a family ,make food look attractive , and healthy food available...............i think all these helps to improve kidoos habits