Healthy snacks...

EverSweetBaby

Nov 6, 2011
I am still struggling with getting my toddlers to food that is good for them. The only food they will willingly eat is anything with Nutella on it. I do bring them grocery shopping with me so that they can pick out fruits and veggies they will eat. So far, I have found strawberries, grapes, and sugar snap peas to be a success. I also mix fruit, like blueberries, into pancakes, and they always ask for seconds.

Captain Belly

Jan 22, 2012
MO
It's not the snack,.... it's how you present it. I grew up with Bugs Bunny who ate a carrot with the green tassle attached. Mom would give me the whole carrot without cutting the green off. I would eat it like Bugs. work on presentation!

apochimongitus

Jan 24, 2012
Our kids are pretty healthy. We (my wife mostly) makes sure the kids always have something interesting in their lunch boxes. Due to recent 'austerity measures' in our household we've had to lay off the 'bought snacks'. I like to bake and my wife is a good cook so we can combine forces to make sure the kids have something nice and easy to eat in their lunch boxes. When you bake the food yourself, it's easy to add healthier alternatives.

I've made muffins recently for the kids, and it would be no problem to add a little linseed meal to it for some omega 3/6 fatty acids and extra fibre. My wife makes a killer hommous that tastes great with carrot sticks and celery sticks. I also plan on making my own 'mini bread sticks' to see how they go. You can cut eggplant (aubergine) into thin slices and grill with a little salt and oil to make a very tasty snack. I make my own bread by hand and it is denser than most store bought bread. The kids prefer this over the 'soft' breads and it is easy to make it more healthy by adding linseed or peptitas or pumpkin or whatever.

We don't have fussy eaters generally, although they were when they were younger and my daughter is a 'slow eater'. Our challenge has always been to out play, out wit and out last. We know what is best for our kids, when sometimes they don't. The really difficult part is making it interesting and challenging without being stressful. We have served up the same meal for breakfast, lunch and tea until one of our children who was being particularly recalcitrant actually ate it. It was challenging but he is now a very good eater and will eat practically anything we put in front of him.

Seems like a bit of a rambling post but I hope this was helpful.

Cheers,

A.

Stips

Feb 1, 2012
Japan
Being that we're from Japan, most of our meals are Japanese. Usually very healthy, I was blessed to have a daughter who is not picky, although I've only started cooking for her recently. She loves rice and vegetables, so it's very easy for me.

Buttaflly227

PF Regular
Jan 31, 2012
<U>Healthy, Quick &amp; Easy Snacks</U>
I will just list them:
1) Raw Sugar Snap Peas- Has the Crunch factor ;)
2) Raw Broccoli
3) Raw Carrots
4) Nuts (watch the sodium)
5) Apple Slices w/ Nutella
6) Low Fat String Cheese
7) Berries (Blueberries,Raspberries,Blackberries,Strawberries)
8) Hummus &amp; Pretzel Flats
9) Raw Cherry Tomatoes
10) Bananas
10)

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Buttaflly227 said:
<U>Healthy, Quick &amp; Easy Snacks</U>
I will just list them:
6) Low Fat String Cheese
10)
I have heard that low fat products are not the way to go with young children. That the fat in cheese, milk, &amp; butter is important for brain building.

Not 100% sure. But I recall having read that several places.

But we do go through a lot of the low fat string cheese

Anne M

Oct 17, 2011
Philippines
TillySmith said:
Slices of apple and small blocks of cheese are great healthy snack. Perfect for lunch boxes
Absolutely! Just remember to give the apples a bath in lemon water to delay browning :)

Neway

PF Regular
Oct 19, 2012
Australia
If you're looking for something that would be a treat that is still healthy, I make these for myself and Mr3 eats about half of them on me, http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2009/10/13/make-these-now/[/URL], she also does a lot of other yummy low sugar treats as well :)

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Have you tried freeze-dried fruit?

I love fruit, but it's hard to come by here. When it is in season abroad, it's often dry or molding by the time we get it. So what we've found works great is freeze-dried fruit. Traditional dried fruits are gummy, tough, or coated with sugar, and a choking hazard for toddlers. But freeze-dried fruit has a great texture, retains its shape, and has a strong flavor. I just love it. We do a lot of frozen fruits too, but they can be messy and storing them outside a freezer is an issue. I recommend freeze-dried fruits for toddler snacks or packed lunches.

If the equipment for proper freeze-drying were not cost-prohibitive, I'd own one and freeze-dry wildberries by the ton!

Last edited: