Hello everyone!!...

SmartKid

Jan 7, 2011
I am a new member here and just joined to get parenting advice!

How do you make children enjoy reading and learning??

Thank you.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy.

For my daughter, she just kinda grew into it with age, at first she didnt look at a book for the longest time, and one night before bed she wanted me to read her like 6 books haha, and it hasnt stopped, I think just give it time :)

Satori

PF Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2010
Australia
Hello and Welcome SmartKid,
I suppose you could start by reading to them and then your enthusiasm catches on and makes them want to give it a try as well. I hope you have a great time here. c ya :)

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Welcome! With my son, I read to him ALL THE TIME starting when he was an infant. Books were just part of his everyday life. He liked to chew on them when he was little, but as he grew older, he started to use them for their intended purpose :) I also talked to him all the time. Told him about the things we saw, would say what I was doing...that sort of thing. Now, at 9 1/2, he loves to read (even though he claims he doesn't) and does really well in school. Now, when he has a question, I make a point of helping him find the answer...usually on the internet. I really think that the love for learning is something that has to be constantly nurtured. Make it part of every day life.

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
Find things that they are interested in and read that. My son likes super heros. We found some Batman comic books written for young children.

Take them places to learn where they can get hands on like science centers and museums and monuments.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Welcome to the forum, Smartkid! I hope you enjoy posting. :)

As for how to help children enjoy reading and learning, make it fun for them!

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Welcome Smartkid,
I'm Nancy and have a 19 yr old son.

I use to take Max to the Library since he was an infant, they have so many free programs for children of all ages to participate in and all encourage reading.

as he got older, and could understand I found an isle in the Library which had the books he liked, such as rocks dinosaours birds, whatever and let him walk to that isle himself and pick out a book or two that we would read together in the Library. Get him a card and he will feel like a big kid, and check books out himself, lets them feel independent and cool.

SmartKid

Jan 7, 2011
Thank you everyone! Wow I am amazed by all the replies! This is great!!!!

I actually have a two year old son. Yes I also read to him children books and I want him to feel comfortable with books and to enjoy them!

I did some research on the subject and read that its good for children to read early on, the earlier the better. I have heard about 3 year old children that are able to read and I want my son to be able to read just a few words, recognize letters etc. Do you recommend any books for 2-3 year olds? What about baby books? (for our next one :) )

I also like the comic books idea . I will check the Batman comics

Thanks again!!!

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
Hi SmartKid. Books are cool, just don't push him. things that are forced, become irritating. there is a time when it is good weather to play outside, or there is a nice movie on tv. books always can wait, and they'll be there when you need.

AshleyP

Jan 9, 2011
Scottsdale, Arizona
Welcome from me too. Getting kids to enjoy reading is tricky as some children won't gravitate to it like others. I think it is important to get them interested in books and reading BEFORE they get interested in the TV and iPads and other tech stuff.