Hello! Need help with hyper active 2 year old...

JennyNYC85

Mar 31, 2015
My 2 year old son is crazy active.

Feels like he wants to run around all day. I am so tired. Any recommendations on how to manage a hyper active toddler? I guess he's too small for any real organized sports, but he's too active even when hanging out with other toddlers.

Are all boys like that? I am pregnant with a second. Thank God it's a she. I don't know how I could manage 2 boys.

Thoughts and suggestions?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I'd say all 2yr olds are like that, not just boys.

I have to be honest, my handling of crazy, running, screaming toddlers was to put them in the backyard, sit in the hammock with a magazine and let them run around being crazy, running, screaming toddlers.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Yeah, little kids are active. They just need a safe place to burn their energy. It's a pain when that safe place is inside the house, because then they just blaze through like a tornado and trash the place. My kids used to grab everything in reach and put it somewhere else, or jump on everything. So obnoxious!

I used to deal with it by giving them very directed tasks throughout the day, and constantly reminding them to finish it. For example, find all the toys and put them in the toy box. This could last all day, because they always removed them faster than they could put them back. But the time spent putting them back was time they were not jumping on the furniture and trashing the place even more, so it made things a little easier for me.

Same with "chores." At that age, kids are useless in terms of making progress on chores, but the time they spend working on them is time they are not "undoing" the household. So I found it very helpful to give them chores whenever they got particularly rambunctious. For example, if I was folding laundry, their job was to sort socks. They weren't good at it, but every time they got distracted and started pulling books off the bookshelf, I could redirect them back to the socks, and they'd spend several minutes sifting through the basket looking for socks. That is time "under control." And in the end, there'd be one or two pairs of socks sorted. Versus no socks sorted, a shelf full of missing books, and fifteen toys scattered over the kitchen floor.

Age two might be a little young, but soon you will be able to have him clean up after himself, and that will improve his awareness of what he is doing and reduce the time spent making work for you. By about age three, I made my kids stop playing once an hour and do clean up for 15 minutes. Then they start over again. We emphasized a "place for everything." Kids aren't organized so you'll have to come up with that place for everything, but after that, they need only be reminded to put it where it goes when they are done. And if it's been lying on the floor for 10 minutes, they are done with it no matter what they say. So you can insist they stop and put it away. Hope that helps!