Help for Dealing With Shared Custody...

TurtleDove

Apr 25, 2011
Hi - I am new to the forum and unsure where I should look for threads about shared custody, or where I should post a new thread. I am struggling with the concept of not being able to be with my child all of the time and looking for some help with how to deal with my disappointment and anger with the situation. Ideas?

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
TurtleDove said:
Hi - I am new to the forum and unsure where I should look for threads about shared custody, or where I should post a new thread. I am struggling with the concept of not being able to be with my child all of the time and looking for some help with how to deal with my disappointment and anger with the situation. Ideas?
I would vote for the "General" forum. But, I'll throw some comments in here.

As far as dealing with it . . . in a lot of ways, it's like all things - time heals. My kids were 12 and 7 when I separated from my then wife, and I had ALWAYS been the "dinner-tubby-bedtime" routine guy. There probably wasn't a night when I didn't snuggle and read with my younger one.

It was very hard at first to deal with not doing that. But, it's surprising how quickly you go from resenting that to enjoying your time away from the kids. :) (Which spawns its own kind of guilt, lol.)

But, the truth is, everyone is different. My kids were pretty easy-going about the whole thing. My ex- and I had a REASONABLY amicable divorce (kids weren't involved in the drama, anyway). I'm a pretty easy-going person. So, depending on the personalities involved in your case, it could be a completely different scenario.

From what you've described so far, though, I would really suggest you see a therapist or some counselor who can help you deal with those very tough emotions...

Good luck!

~s