Help getting child to brush his teeth...

Swimdad

Banned
May 7, 2011
I still am not very enthused about brushing my teeth, so imagine a child!?

Make it fun! Toothbrushes/Toothpaste.

Brush your teeth with your child.

Don't do it when they are sleepy.

Start a points/star system for everytime they brush and reward them after so many points/stars. It works for me with VISA!! LOL.

Stockton2007

May 24, 2011
I just had to use a lot of persuading. I let him pick out his tooth brush from the store. Also, i let him brush his teeth in the middle of the day as well, if he requests, can't hurt and it's getting done.

5bygrace

PF Regular
May 11, 2011
VA
I have a boy with issues too, and I make it a game, competition....we do it together to see who "wins" LOL he's so like his Dad.....stinkin Marines have to "win" everything LOL

Love light up tooth brushes!!!

Cheena

Jun 3, 2011
I'm pretty sure almost every little child would like some sweets. There are chocolate-flavored toothpastes out there. You may try one for your child and if he liked the taste, then you can get him to brush it on his teeth!

BeanTownBigEasy

Jul 1, 2011
Just tell him that the has invisible sugar bugs on his teeth and that brushing is the way to kill them. Boys love killing stuff si it should work.

Parron

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Well brissy you have to give your son mint gum for eat. Mint gum is good to develop interest in your child. In my opinion mint gum is best to develop the habit to do brush. With the use of it your son will like to do brush.

physical therapy management

Last edited:

KS_adoption

Jul 12, 2011
With my toddler I always offer to sing her a goofy song that I make up, about anything. I'll say "want me to sing a song about bears eating honey?" She'll nod, then open her mouth. Works like a charm.

Carney

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
Hi BrissyMumma,
I won't recomend you to use electronic brush for kids as they might damage their gums. Using of cartoon charecters tooth brush is effective as we used the same strategy with our 3 year old daughter last year. Try to brush teeth in front of your child to motivate him/her.

Carney

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
Carney said:
Hi BrissyMumma,
I won't recomend you to use electronic brush for kids as they might damage their gums. Using of cartoon charecters tooth brush is effective as we used the same strategy with our 3 year old daughter last year. Try to brush teeth in front of your child to motivate him/her.
san antonio gym

Mommy_Colleen

Jul 29, 2011
My 18 month old baby doesn't want to brush her teeth too, what I found works is that I let her brush my teeth while I brush her. LOL

momat18

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2011
show him how you brush your teeth. every mornign take him to the bathroom and do it in front of him. get a children's tooth paste for him. and give him with the tooth brush with the paste on. he will be interested in that

dave

PF Regular
Jun 17, 2011
stjohnjulie said:
My son liked the light up toothbrushes too. We also used a timer, different timers when he would lose interest. A sand timer, a kitchen timer, a watch... He would do a little, and when he would get tired of it, I would do a little, then hand it back over. I sat with him while he brushed his teeth until he as 5 or so. I would talk, he would brush, and we would have a few minutes of quality time together. The dentist recommended that I still brush his teeth once a week for him. Make sure they are getting done right, check out the teeth while I'm there. Now that he is 9 1/2, I do it every few weeks or so, just to keep an eye on things.
^^ great stuff here

dave

PF Regular
Jun 17, 2011
I brushed my son Dax's teeth for him untill he finally just grabbed the brush from me ( i have had it easy in the past )

If NOTHING works. I would take away juice between meals and no candy or anything that will ruin their teeth. JUST WATER, maybe milk with meals and a vitamin.

a child who sips juice all day... tooth brushing might not help as much.

DBucci

Aug 24, 2011
<t>Speaking of teeth brushing, have you guys heard about this great new dental discount site? I just came across it online – it’s called Brighter.com. It’s super easy to use! You just sign up as a member, and then have access to a directory of local dentists and you can find discounted prices on dental procedures and visits. You can actually save up to 60% on dental work by using Brighter. It’s a great value for anyone who doesn’t have dental insurance or anyone who is paying out of pocket for dental care. <br/>
<br/>
Take care, <br/>
Danielle</t>

dave

PF Regular
Jun 17, 2011
OK normally I dont like people coming into forums and advertising. I realize im a junior member here so perhaps i dont have a right to defend advertising thread hijackers.

The problem comes when the forum is full of advertisers and no real parents giving each other feedback. It could ruin the forum.

GavinH

PF Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2011
Fort Mill, SC
My daughter yelled and performed and generally did anything to get out of brushing. I got the light-up brush that changes color (colour) every 30 seconds and she loves it. Brushing still requires some oversight and I guess it will for the next few years.

dave

PF Regular
Jun 17, 2011
Gavin don't give up after a few years some kids will lie for years that they brushed their teeth. you gotta inspect, and observe!

edit not saying your kids are liars, but i did this to my poor parents and cost alot of money in cavity fillings (and subsequent scholastic aptitude from the mercury i think).

mom77

Aug 24, 2011
The light up tooth brushes are great! I found that these are very helpful to help your child to start brushing. I started both my girls on them and after some time I would catch my kids brushing every 10 minutes lol. It was quite funny actually. Now they are older and brush twice a day without me having to tell them to.