Help with my teenage son......

sandra063

Apr 30, 2013
My 16 year old son has been into Ecstasy for a while now - he's been expelled from school due to the issue. I've spoken to him on several occasions about the issue but he just ignores me. He's much taller than me and I'm a single mom of 2 so I don't always have control over the family.

Recently I walked into his room and found some pills inside his drawer. When I confronted him about the issue, he went into a tantrum and struck me across the face. As he came to hit me again, I kicked him in the balls and he fell to the floor whimping... He then limped out of the house and I haven't seen him since.

What should I do now? Did I do the right thing by kicking him in the tenders? What would you have done if your son came to hit you?

yunihara

PF Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2010
Nebraska
I think you were in the right, honestly, if he's going to be taking swings at you in such a way. You HAVE to defend yourself, if he's getting violent in a way that will really hurt you. Best defense against a male attacker is getting a good swing at the crotch, which is safer than other fast and incompacitating options (getting the eyes and things of that nature). Don't feel guilty, you need to protect yourself and others in the house.

Do you know where he might have gone? I would suggest finding a neutral place to discuss issues with him, such as a therapist or a rehab or something. If you have no idea, maybe calling the police would be a good option... which I would have done when he hit me in the face since he is 16 and capable of causing serious injury. Its one thing having difficulties with teens, its another having to be afraid of him hurting you physically. He needs to know its unacceptable, he needs help, and you need to take the fist steps. If he's going to get violent just at questions, it concerns me what he might do if you scoured his room for drugs.

There are hotlines out there that can help you a lot in the situations and get you started. The best one around here is Boys and Girls Town, but I'm sure there's plenty that can help you get on the right track to helping him and yourself.

But he's a minor (at least here he would be considered one), so you could call the police and tell them he's missing. Call his friends you may know, if you have an idea where he might be.

I'm sorry you have to go through this.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
First you should report him missing. When he gets back, enroll him in a rehab program and therapy. If he refuses, you might be able to get a court order. If you find drugs in his possession and cannot get him into any such programs, then you should report it to the police and get them to take legal action. Letting him pursue his drug addiction with no intention of stopping or getting help is not going to help him. The fact that he has resorted to violence shows what lengths he is willing to go through, and you don't want to raise a violent criminal. Take action while he is still a child.

XxAkikazexX

Apr 10, 2013
Chicago
One big ole police report! He needs be straightened out, he has no right to hit you or even be messing with drugs. Put "the fear of god" into him, and show it how much it hurts you. Don't bring him home until you know its safe.

Thinking of you!

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I sincerely hope that if he isn't back, you have filed a missing person's report by now.

And if you aren't able to set boundaries with him, such as no bringing illegal drugs into your home, they yes - report him to the police and let them handle it.

babybibsplus

PF Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2016
You need to file a missing report and when he comes back put him into rehab and anger management.