Helping your child deal with traumatic injuries...

thx1138

PF Regular
Apr 1, 2008
I'm currently a college student in my twenties, and though I am not currently a parent I would like your opinion on how you'd deal with a situation I placed my parents in when I was in High School;

I made good grades, did not do drugs, or drink, I was active in my church, local Tae Kwon Do club, and on the school's wrestling and academic challenge teams. Then during high school I broke my neck during a wrestling match (3 cracked disks 7 torn tendons) , I didn't suffer any loss of mobility, strength, or sensation and was seemingly fully recovered within a period of a few weeks. The only lasting result of injury being occasional tremors ad pain when eating which I tried to hide from my parents. However my parents (wisely) decided to consult a sport orthopedist about my neck, he advised that I never wrestle again, they agreed with him. I was very angry with them over their decision and said some things which were hurtful (like reminding my mother that it had been her idea for me to join the wrestling team), and openly disagreed with their decision. I have to admit that at that age I was a little of a religious zealot, to the point that I claimed that injury or no if I were to die or become seriously injured while wrestling it would be the will of God and that it would have happened regardless. I even went so far as to openly challenge their faith in God because they didn't agree with my interpretation of his will. In the six years that have passed between now and then I have come to see that they were just doing what they felt to be in my best interest and that I was acting irrationally.

What I am asking is what you would have done in their situation?