here's another...

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
ok, ever heard "don't go out in the cold with a head of wet hair 'cause you'll get sick." ??

anyone put much stock in that one?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Yes, I've heard that and usually follow it, especially up here in New England during the winter. I don't know if it would make a person sick but it definitely makes you COLD! I speak from personal experience after leaving a salon after a hair cut.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
It cant make you sick, the illness itself has to come from bacteria. However, most heat is lost through your head and feet, and if you already have the bacteria there then havign wet hair in the cold could increase the speed that it develops.

My dad always said "if you go to bed with wet hair you'll get sick" no truth in that one, but apparently it does make your pillows go yucky.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Your immune system works better when you are warm, which is why with a lot of illnesses you have a temperature and which is also why you shouldn't try to lower your temperature when ill unless it is high enough for you to need hospitalisation.
You have a higher chance of becoming ill when you are cold, especially colds as your nose becomes cool and the bacteria can enter your body area as the immune system is slow to attack the pathogen. Cuts are more likely to become effected when they are in areas that are often cold as well.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
yeah, I'm going to "take charlie weaver for the win and agree peter" (anybody feel free to let me know if you got that one....certain age and experience needed) I think the wet hair makes you cold faster and contibutes to you inability to fight off sickness, a little. OH, and going to bed with wet hair also contributes to the growth of dust mites, they love that damp pillow environment...so it's a no-no for dust allergy peeps.