He's Pooping On The Floor!!!...

fleur007

Mar 18, 2011
texas
I know most ppl in america think that a child shouldn't be potty trained till 2-3yr. But everyone on my moms side of the family have gotten their kids potty trained by 10months. And besides the occacional accident completly potty trained.

I started training my son a little late, we started when he turned 1 yr. We did as my mom and aunt said and took off his diaper and let him roam naked around the house. The first few days was quit messy but he eventally got the idea when it comes to peeing. Not only does he pee in the potty but he will come and gets either me or my husband when he has to go.

Pooping however is a different story. He refuses to poop in the potty, he won't even sit down on the potty! Instead he will go behind the couch or into another room and poop there. At first we knew when he was trying to poop cause we would hear him starting to push so we would take him into the bathroom to let him go either on the floor or in the tube.

But after a couple weeks or so he stopped making the pooping sound and started sitting on the floor and going without making any sound. So we kept an eye out for him sitting down on the floor a certin way and when he would we could rush him to the bathroom.

After a couple weeks or so he stopped that, now he will be running around the house having a good ole time, then just stop and a second later poop falls out of his butt giving us no time to react.

I know he dosn't like pooping on himself cause he was a grossed out look on his face after he does it. We tried showing him how to poop in the potty by taking him to the bathroom with us when we have to go and i'll even show him my poops in the toilet so he knows thats where poop belongs but he still won't do it.

We've tried going to pull ups but that just makes him want to pee and poop in the pull ups and we don't want to go backwards. We're at your wits end and we'll try anything. Someone please help us!?

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
He's pooping cause he is only a year old. I hate to see kids over 2-2 1/2 still in diapers, it's one of the few parenting pet peeves I have.....but training before 2 is dang near impossible, at that age the child isn't trained, the parent is.

While babies that age can recognize the need to poop, they do not have the ability to control it, sorry. If it was me I would put him back in diapers and start again on his 2nd b-day. I do the same method and within a week can have any child trained, but they have to be 2. Younger then that is just not realistic, older then that and it can become a battle of the wills.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I agree with Mom2Many. He is too young. You are expecting a LOT of understanding out of a baby. I also think its way too much stress for a little one this age to have to go through this. I'm sure you are upset or disappointed when he poops on the floor, and he can't process how to please you guys. You would be amazed at how much easier and less stressful this could be on everybody involved if you just waited until he was two.

As for your family members who potty trained before 10 months, that is really not the definition of potty training, its called "elimination communication" which I find interesting, but more work than its worth. Basically the parents are literally doing everything for this baby to land its pees and poops in the toilet, including watching the baby's every move and facial expression, holding them over the toilet and making noises, and all kinds of other stuff that requires CONSTANT attention and a LOT of work on the part of the parents. The definition of actually being potty trained, would be the ability to recognize the fact that they have to go (every time, and either pee or poop), and to say "I have to pee (poop)!" and to consciously, with underwear on, be able to walk to the bathroom and pull them down, go to the bathroom, wipe off (other than maybe a little help with poop), and flush the toilet. No child under 10 months can do any of that, and your average one year old can't do most of that either. Just my opinion!!

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I have to agree with Mom2many and Xero. I know you say your family has succeeded by 10 months, but apparantly your son is not ready.

This reminds me of how the Chinese train their children. First, they have split pants, so if you go to China, you will often see little bums poking out of pants. In the winter, these poor little bums are red and chapped.

Starting at about 6 weeks or maybe a little older, they hold the baby over a basin and blow on their private parts. When they start to pee, they whistle. Then, eventually, they whistle and the child pees on demand. I may have some of the details wrong, but it is something like that.

I've heard that they don't learn bladder control due to the training. I don't know if that is true, but I can't tell you how many times I watched a mother or father hold a 1yo, 2yo, 3yo, or 4yo up so they could pee on the elevator floor, in front of the checkout at a supermarket, on the front steps of the bakery, etc. Now that I could handle. It was the poop on a paper plate (I suppose the paper plate was actually a good thing so that the poop could easily be tossed into the next trashcan) that I didn't like very much.

emergencydentis

PF Regular
Jan 8, 2011
USA
MomoJA said:
I have to agree with Mom2many and Xero. I know you say your family has succeeded by 10 months, but apparantly your son is not ready.

This reminds me of how the Chinese train their children. First, they have split pants, so if you go to China, you will often see little bums poking out of pants. In the winter, these poor little bums are red and chapped.

Starting at about 6 weeks or maybe a little older, they hold the baby over a basin and blow on their private parts. When they start to pee, they whistle. Then, eventually, they whistle and the child pees on demand. I may have some of the details wrong, but it is something like that.

I've heard that they don't learn bladder control due to the training. I don't know if that is true, but I can't tell you how many times I watched a mother or father hold a 1yo, 2yo, 3yo, or 4yo up so they could pee on the elevator floor, in front of the checkout at a supermarket, on the front steps of the bakery, etc. Now that I could handle. It was the poop on a paper plate (I suppose the paper plate was actually a good thing so that the poop could easily be tossed into the next trashcan) that I didn't like very much.
Geez.. POop on a paper plate? that is disgusting... i don't like it, too. If nothing else, they can at least have the child poo in a BIG can. And I must emphasize the BIG here.
Anyway, I see some posts on the internet about how to help your child poo in the right place at the right time. I can't recall the sites but I do recall they have this very cute easy-to-carry mini toilet with designs. These are made specially for kids. I don't know if it will work for you but if it doesn't you can try some other pooping-made-easy-for-kids stuff. :)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I've heard it said that all those parents who for years claime dto have trained their children by age one hadn't by and large done so at all. All they'd done was teach a modicum of control, while they took on the responsibility of setting the child on the potty every hour, so it looked and felt like training because the diaper was gone.

You need to do what's right for you, no family pressure and I agree with m2m , try again at 2.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
i think Children toilet train when they are ready. Felix is 2 years and 3 months and still in nappies he is doing really well with the toilet training though. he is in pull ups all day which we call Jocks and then nappies only for bed.

i will get rig of the pull ups when i feel he is ready. i also take his pull up off and let him run around naked for a few hours a day so he doesn't feel the comfort of the pull up. he only occasionally has accidents in this time and very,very rarely is it poo. he pee's on my walls sometimes.

he also sneaks outside and pulls down his pull up to pee on the tree's instead of the toilet lol

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Antoinette said:
he also sneaks outside and pulls down his pull up to pee on the tree's instead of the toilet lol
lol, classic boy. Just be sure to teach him about peeing down-hill rather than up and about the dangerous effects of wind....

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
haha who knows maybe if the wind gets him it will teach him not to do it LOL..

i have a stool next to the toilet so he can get onto it but the stool isn't big enough for him to be higher than the toilet bowl, i walked in on him the other day attempting to pee into the toilet standing up... it went everywhere. it rebounded off the basin. it was too funny to be mad though, his face was just like "hmmm, that doesn't happen when daddy does it"

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
emergencydentis said:
Rubbish. this reminds me of a dog peeing anywhere.
rubbish?

rubbish?

just because you have a hang-up does not give you the right to de-value my opinions. Certainly there's a time and a place for everything. I'm certainly not advocating dropping trou ans whizzing in the mall. Not all of us live in a sanitized perfectly defined world. I think reasonable people will take my comment as it was intended.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
My son pees on the ground/a tree when he's outside playing during the summer, and he thinks its great! :D

It keeps those accidents from happening, you know the ones that usually occur from kids not wanting to stop what they're doing and go all the way in the house. Anyway, sometimes when we are outside during the summer we are FAAAAR from any bathroom (playing in the creek, walking through the vinyards etc), and if we tried to make it back to one it would mean a long walk and not only is that sooo not worth it when you can just pee on the ground where no one can see you, but he just wouldn't make it lol.

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
Hmm, well I remember learning at an early age that there are some times when using the bathroom outside is an acceptable alternative. For example, my father and I were out hunting in the woods, a long way from home, and I had to pee. Well guess what, the tree got a little drink! I would have never made it back home and it was better than wetting myself. You can call it rubbish and equate it to dog-like behavior if you like, but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do. I'll tell you what, as soon as you can invent some teleportation technology to take me right back home, then you might begin to have an arguement.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Jackson used to poo on the floor every so often when he was little, you had to be careful or the dog would eat it or Jackson would be smeared in it, which would turn him into a mobile tasty treat for the dog!!!

We just used to clean him, clean the floor and leave it, we didn't want to bring any attention to it, because for some children that can spur them on and make them do it more.

We don't let our children wee outside, we use wee packs (they're for outdoor use and turn your urine into a jelly), defecating outside is an offense here, so it isn't something we would let our children do.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
EEeeewww Jeremy, eewww!!! hahaha oh kids can be so disgusting sometimes, can't they? And dogs, for that matter. lol

Wee packs?? I have never heard of those. That's kind of a cool idea. I agree with pooping outside though, I wouldn't even consider letting my kids do that, but I can't say I've been in a situation where it was something I had to consider. Anyway I do think that would be gross, plus I also get the feeling that there's no way DS would ever agree to pooping anywhere but the potty. If there was no potty around, he would just hold it.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
oh, and yeah, pooping is another matter, you gotta hold that, unless we were way out it the woods, like away from civilization, in which case we'd be more prepared for such a thing...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
oh, and, and, we had something like wee packs as a child, it was called a "coffee can," and we learned to go ahead of time or hold it because nothing was more humiliating or gross than having to go in the coffee can...