Hi Everyone !...

keita

Oct 17, 2010
My name is Ineta and I'm new at this forum. I would like to shear the subject which is very actual for me recently. I have a daughter 7 y.o and
I've installed in her mobile phone tracking system called 'DondeEsta'.
Have anyone of you used any mobile location system? In case you have it, did U told your kid that is for his/her own safety, or have you hide it? Will apriciate your opinions<EMOJI seq="1f615">:confused:</EMOJI>

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Hi Ineta,

Welcome. I'm Ray, Dad to two boys 8 and 3 yo.

Glad to see you here and ready to post. Don't be too disappointed if you don't get much repsonse to your question. Most people won't look for a question like this in the "introductions" forum. Your best bet is to hang around ehre a while, get to know some people, share your insights and then post in the "products" forum. You may want to dig around there. I remember some discussion about tracking systems there within the last year, you might be able to read up on an old thread.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Computerdad said:
Hi Ineta, im new as well, joined yesterday.

but are you sure about the wisdom of having a child that young have a cell phone??
what concerns you about a child having a cell phone? Mine's had one since he was 5 or 6. Only problem we've had was one incident where it was stolen/lost that ended okay and was a learning experience. I haven't seen any good arguments against them having them other than people being stodgy about "children have no need for them"

Computerdad

PF Regular
Oct 19, 2010
Summerville, SC
Well.. thats a good point. i always saw cell phones and things of that nature as tools, and often times expensive tools. it may also be the fear that someone could obtain my childs phone number at an age when they dont understand that everyone who calls them may not be mom, dad or their aunt.

though this is from speculation, i've no experience raising small children, so its possible i'm projecting fears onto othe rpeople's situations.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Computerdad said:
Well.. thats a good point. i always saw cell phones and things of that nature as tools, and often times expensive tools. it may also be the fear that someone could obtain my childs phone number at an age when they dont understand that everyone who calls them may not be mom, dad or their aunt.

though this is from speculation, i've no experience raising small children, so its possible i'm projecting fears onto othe rpeople's situations.
well those are certainly valid concerns.... here's some info from the good side.

our son has a $0.01 phone. We got it by extending our contract a year. No big. We're pretty careful about who gets his number, so that's not a huge concern for me.

We like him being able to have his phone out and visible as he walks from the bus. i think it makes him less of a target. He knows if anything makes him uneasy, he's to call somebody, mom, dad, daycare mom, etc., so we like the added security we get with him having it. It's also a learning experience. I don't think we'll have as much trouble with him texting as a teen as some do now. It'll be old by then. He's learning manners and managing his text time and responsibility, I think it's a pretty good thing.

Computerdad

PF Regular
Oct 19, 2010
Summerville, SC
IADad said:
well those are certainly valid concerns.... here's some info from the good side.

our son has a $0.01 phone. We got it by extending our contract a year. No big. We're pretty careful about who gets his number, so that's not a huge concern for me.

We like him being able to have his phone out and visible as he walks from the bus. i think it makes him less of a target. He knows if anything makes him uneasy, he's to call somebody, mom, dad, daycare mom, etc., so we like the added security we get with him having it. It's also a learning experience. I don't think we'll have as much trouble with him texting as a teen as some do now. It'll be old by then. He's learning manners and managing his text time and responsibility, I think it's a pretty good thing.
I can see those as being valid points, definitely, but I dont know if a cell phone can count as a level of security, it might just be my uneasiness and lifestyle choice, but i dont imagine my child being that far from me or my wife at any given time. though, life often can throw curve balls at you :) I'll consider this information carefully.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
Welcome!

And my 8 year old son got a cell as well. He needs it cos he go to school and back home by himself since this term.