Hi from Switzerland:-)...

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
<FONT font="Century Gothic"><SIZE size="125"><I>lol lol lol
in my younger days, i might have gone chasing after the naked men. lol. jk...

not to be a bummer, but here is a good example of our weather:
last week we had ice and rain and freezing temps. well tonight we get to watch out for tornadoes.:eek: lol, we're just 3 or 4 hours north of houston...

and uh, texans have no clues really for driving in snow and ice since we're not used to it.:jiggy:
</I>
</SIZE>

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
bssage said:
I guess that would go into the "pro" collum for non-circumision. Hiking naked that is.
What, for like an extra... flap of warmth or something? lol

Lynette

PF Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2009
Switzerland
I just surfed a little on the sites you indicated me, 16th ave. They are very useful and I know got an idea about what a backup plan is. That is certainly a thing I will do with highest priority once we'd arrive in the area. Thanks very much again. I am sure I'll be going back to the links for several times.

Xero, in Switzerland we do not have a free health care system. Everybody mandatorily has to have a health insurance which is to be paid privately. It costs around 300 to 500 CHF per month, depending on many factors like age, place where you live, how much you are ready to contribute to the doctor's bills,... The insurances get more expensive every year because health care costs are exploding. But, basically the system is not too bad.

How is it in the U.S.? I undstand that the company you work for in general pays for the health insurance. Right?

I understand that the U.S.A. have many problems. I did not quite get why exactly you want to escape them, but I would be very interested in getting to know.

I personally think that a main problem for me living in the U.S. is going to be that there are rules and regulations for everything. Here we somehow trust a little more in common sense. You will never see a panel on a playground with rules about how the playground should be used and for what age it has been designed. As I saw that the first time I was really amused and shocked at the same time. Here, we believe that our kids know very well where their limits are, and if not, there is still a parent around to tell them.

To make another example: if somebody climbs up a tree and falls down, he will be angry about himself and he won't go to accuse the farmer because there was no warning attached to the tree "climbing on a tree could result in falling down and severe injury or death".

You probably get what I mean;) How do you people think about the rules and regulations jungle?

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
oh no no no. the companies only pay roughly half (not sure the exact amount) and we pay some. our insurance is up the creek without a paddle. a huge number of people don't even have health insurance...

the rules on playgrounds and such are because lots of people have decided their kids or themselves shouldn't be held accountable for their own actions and sued the folks who run the playgrounds and lots of other places....

anyways, hope ya enjoy it here. things may not be in the best of shape. but we do know how to enjoy ourselves.

ps. several tornadoes did hit in north texas and parts of oklahoma,. sure ya'll may see it in the news. but most folks seemed to make it through the night safely. lol we even lost power for a bit but never did hear any rain...we pretty much slept through the night.

Lynette

PF Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2009
Switzerland
Good morning!

You really want to scare hell out of me right?:D

I'd better watch the wetter forecast before I pack up my suitcase. I'd be delighted if my hotel would not have blown away until after my stay...

I wish you a nice day!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well I am not one for the health insurance systems here, but we do have them. A lot of employers provide health insurance, but that does not usually cover all of your bills. They only pay a certain amount and you pay the rest, and a copay. But they help anyway. There are many many people without health insurance. My boyfriend is one of them, and it's pretty unfortunate because there is a lot he needs looked at medically but we could not afford it. My son and I are insured under the government for now, because we are low income and even that insurance gives me a lot of problems. The main problem with insurance companies here is that they are more concerned about saving themselves money, it's their goal. Rather than get people health care. They want a profit. But sometimes you get lucky, or have the lesser ends of problems with them. I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're already accustomed to having an insurance system.

As for all the awkward rules and guidelines around here, I can blame that solely on people making sure they dont get sued. You could let your 3 year old go on the big kid fort if you want to, but if the tag on it says he can't then you can't sue anybody and that's the only thing that means. We don't make big deals about that at all. If it seems unimportant, it probably is and nobody will really care. At McDonalds over here the big playplace says you have to be 3 or older to go on, but I take Eli (17 months) on it whenever I want and nobody ever cares and nobody is even looking for it really. It's just to save their own butts basically. :p

Lynette

PF Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2009
Switzerland
Theoretically I am aware of the fact that all those panels are just there to avoid getting sued. But somehow, they make an impression on me anyway. Here, if there is a panel that says "no" it usually really means "no";)

I'll try to keep in mind what you have written and just don't care.

It seems, that more or less the health care system is quite similar, but just working better in Switzerland. Well, Switzerland is the country where things work, at least in general;) We also pay a part of our bills, but only until a certain amount. You can decide how high this amount is -the higher it is, the lesser you pay for the insurance. We also pay around then to 20% of every bill, but only until we have reached chf 700.-.Once you paid that, all the rest is going to be covered by the insurance. Those do not really make a lot of profit, by the way.

How's the weather today? Any earthquakes, floodings, hurricanes? When I look outside the window I see that it's snowing. It started around an hour ago. I slowly begin to get tired of winter and I start longing for the first flowers in my garden...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
IMO our healthcare is a complicated situation. I could go on for pages. But the biggest inequity IMO. The less you can afford, The more it cost. I think there is something fundementally wrong with our system.

Lynette

PF Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2009
Switzerland
Hello!

Tomorrow DH and I are leaving for our preasignment trip to Houston. Saying that I am excited would be the understatement of the year. We are going to meet my DH's former boss, who moved from Switzerland to Houston last year, his future boss who did the same move a few months ago (and this with 5 kids:err:), his present boss's wife (who did not move yet) and a relocation manager. I have the impression that we will get pretty much imformation about moving to Houston:D

I'll tell you about the trip when I'll be back, only if you care of course;)

Bye bye!

Lynette

PF Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2009
Switzerland
Hello!

After a very intense and informative week my DH and I are back in Switzerland waiting for a specific offer by the company. We have explored some very nice Houston neighborhoods and we can immagine our life there very well. We'll see what we get offered...

Thanks to all who share my adventure:)

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
well, good. how's houston looking lately. it's been about 5 months now since ike. and did ya get a chance to jump over to galveston or the bolivar peninsula? clean up should be coming along....

Lynette

PF Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2009
Switzerland
bssage, I got them Cowboy costumes and guns for the upcoming carnival on Sunday. (The guns are going to be stowed away after that -they just get them for the special occasion.)

16th ave, Houston's looking very well. I've been told that many trees were lost and that many trees that are still standing lost a lot of branches, but the mess was already cleaned up in most of the places. The neighborhoods we looked at were very tidy. And none of the people we talked to had any major damage to their houses. We did not go to Galveston as we heard that it was still rather messy... We'll go there when we'll live in Houston...

... if we ever will. My DH husband is currently having nightmares about getting a bad offer. Well, I call it paranoia, but he is quite nervous about the thing right now. The only thing that makes me a little nervous is my son's therapy. Here he goes to "psychomotoric therapy" which is similar to ergotherapy. It may be a stupid question, but do you have these kind of therapies?

A good day to everybody:)