High school orientation...

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Not sure if anyone remembers but last year I was tossing up with what to do with Lux going to high school as the older three go to a school with a very heavy arts program and Lux doesn't have an artistic bone in her body, and the regular public school that her primary school is in the catchment for we had a very bad experience with.

Well, she got accepted into a different public high school as there were places left after the kids in the catchment schools were accepted. We had to have a meeting with the principal and she seemed to like Lux, and well, I guess she did because she got one of the 12 spots that were left over.

Today was her orientation, one of her friends also got in and her best friend from riding school is from one of the catchment schools and the three of them are all in the same homeroom, so she is very happy about that. She spent the entire trip home telling me all about the science labs and how wonderful they are.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
That is great. It sounds like what we call charter schools over here. Is it a public school with some unique academic emphasis, that accepts kids based on a lottery? That's how ours are. They tend to out-perform the "neighborhood" public schools (which accept any student living within designated boundaries), so lots of people try to get in whether they care about the special emphasis or not. My daughter is in one. They have prior enrollment for children of staff who work at that school, and younger siblings of students already attending. For everyone else, you cross your fingers and wait for the lottery.

Or was this just a school outside your designated geographic boundaries? (I guess that's probably what you mean by catchment...)