hiring a nanny...

skyflakes

Aug 14, 2016
I'm thinking of hiring someone to watch DS. I love her but she's young, recent RN grad (this is good because she's BLS certified, etc) ... She's also highly recommended by her nursing profs. Should I hire someone who doesn't have experience with kids but who was trained by the agency on childcare? What price range should I pay her if I do consider it?

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
Everyone has to gain experience somewhere. She's fresh out of childcare courses and will have less bad habits and jaded thinking, more patience and energy to handle an energetic baby that will be walking in a matter of a couple more months. Plus, you will be offering someone a chance to gain professional experience in infant care that will look very good on her resume.
Call some other agency inquiring about prices to get a good comparison. When I was looking for childcare, nannies cost double the minimum wage. which was about $16 /hr at the time.
If you're still iffy, ask the agency about trail runs before you commit.
Nannies who are used for the long haul can develop deep bonds with the children they care for. And sometimes they can be considered part of the family. So, choosing carefully is crucial to ensure your kid isn't going through a succession of different nannies.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
Yes, but that experience can be -- having younger siblings or own children, helping out relatives or friends with theirs.
From the other side -- giving your very young baby so some wet-behind-the ears stranger can have a nicer resume... Hmmm

Vdad

PF Enthusiast
May 28, 2016
This might sound obvious, but why don't you spend some time together with the prospective nanny and baby and see how they do with each other, maybe over a period of time?

Credentials and experience don't always tell the whole story. And sometimes they do. The only way to determine that is to get some observations and make your decision based not just the on a CV but actual interaction with the child.

superwoman

Aug 18, 2016
You should be really careful in choosing people, because your DS is too young and she needS proper care at this point.