Homeschooled NIGHTMARE...

marvinwaing

Aug 1, 2011
a really good tutor. like a robin williams type character. one on one catch up. i learnded 4 years of math in one year from a tutor. it wasn't that hard either.

Spark

Aug 3, 2011
Pittsburgh
I agree with the comment suggesting that you have her tested first before you implement a plan. She may be at a grade level 8 in math but a 4 in reading. Recognizing her strengths and weaknesses is the first step in deciding how to proceed.

krissyjo

Aug 16, 2011
Brentwood, TN
I recently discovered online public schooling. I don't have my kids enrolled in it, but have a friend whose son is. It's completely free and they provide all of the materials because it's considered a public school even though it's done at home. They do an assessment with the child and give them materials based on their level - so while she may be only on 4th grade in some things, she may be on track in others. The program is called K12 so I'd suggest doing a search for it and getting some information. It's at least another option.

shemama

Banned
Aug 26, 2011
stepmom_mom89 said:
Hello,
My fiance and I are trying to get custody of his 13 yr old daughter that we just found out existed. She has been "home-schooled" on a very irregular basis and is only at a 4th grade level. She has classtime once a week-once a month. In order to get custody we have to provide the court a detailed strategy to get her caught up to the grade she should be, in order for her to graduate on time. We live in texas and are not sure what kind of programs there are or what our best options to go about doing this are. Please help.
try to find teen boarding schools near texas.

RegalSin

Banned
Sep 3, 2011
Your not telling us the whole story.

1. How did this person met, and by what circumstances is the child
just discovered?

2. 4th grade level can be anything. You just told me your 13 year old has the mind of a eight year old. That can mean anything at all. What are their strong points and weak points. Are they being a normal young adult or just sitting home browsing the internet talking on forums ( facebook ).

3. Where in the world is this, and why? Seriously I myself should have had a college diploma job by 19, in perfect time, but due to all the interferance this was not until 27. This is built over time. In a pefect world we would have everything figured out by the age of 10, but this is reality.

So far your telling us, she has no ability to work and is better off dead. You getting custody is one thing, but her being a useful and happy ( non-sucidal, pro-civic, and reasonable ) person.