Homework Tips...

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm working with my daughter's school to put together some information for parents about helping kids with their homework - things like how to motivate them, how to help without doing it for them, good work environments, organization, etc. I'm looking specifically at kindergarten to grade 8, but any age would be good.

If anyone has any tips that could be useful for other parents, please share them! Thanks!

ikon99

PF Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2012
Arizona
I'm done w school but still have homework. in the past we have set aside quiet time in an area condusive to studying and we do it together. i'm there if one of the kids gets stuck. For the 5 y/o its usually, "where is the red crayon?"

Shaun Austin

Banned
Oct 22, 2012
We find that with the older two who are both studying for their A-Levels that they are better left to their own devices. They come and find the parent who is best to help for example Callum would come and find me if he has a pyschology related question as it is my area of expertise while Sam would find Charlotte if he has a Biology question. Leaving them to it helps them because they have their own ways of studying - Sam likes having music where as Callum prefers silence. The other two who are younger still have 'homework time' where they have an hour after dinner where they can do their homework with the help of either of their brothers, me, or my wife. The main issue we have is distractions. The older two know that they need to be self motivated so its up to them to move away from distactions. Whereas the other two still find that they wonder during the hour of 'homework time', so me and Charlotte have learnt that we still need to move distractions or the children. If causing issues

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Yep I agree with Shaun. Our homework time is also right after dinner. Most of what Cole is doing is strictly practicing what they learned in class. Rarely is it more than a half an hour. But he also has to keep up on reading books. I am pretty adamant that there should be no homework on Sunday unless he is behind. I do this to avoid the last minute "Oh Crap I forgot something" When he has test. I like to quiz him if he lets me. We also make a game of spelling words thru-out the day. I look at his spelling list when he gets it. Then intermittently I will ask him how to spell a word on it. Its less like study and more like playing a game.

I Think the big thing at those young ages is more establishing a routine.

jollysmith123

Banned
Jun 5, 2012
La Quinta,CA
It is observed that kids remain very active and successful when their parents have indulgence in their homework. As a parent you must make sure that your child has a quiet, well-lit place to do homework. Make all necessary elements required for doing homework at their table. Try to inculcate in them the importance of school and its homework. Maintain time management for their homework time.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
We haven't had a problem with motivation. My daughter's assignments are pretty engaging for her. She brings home worksheets intended to do independently, and others that involve the parents. But we do struggle with creating the right environment that's conducive to homework. It has been no small challenge.

She is still young enough that she needs a fair amount of guidance, so letting her work alone in her room only works for a small portion of her homework. But when we work with her, the younger siblings see that attention and suddenly it is more interesting than any activity I have set them up with. So they are constantly interrupting and distracting.

Our solutions vary, but we've been extending her bedtime later than theirs to make up for this. I would call this strategy "poor" to "moderate."

Lisay

May 19, 2008
For homework, my daughter's school is using beestar worksheets. The math program is especially cute. She loves it. It's encouraging for her to compete on this site with her classmates and wins ribbons.
Lisa