Hospital mix up...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Hypothedical.

What if you got a call a few years later from the hospital that there was a mix up in the hospital and that the child you have is not biologically yours. Would you try and make a deal to keep the child that you've always known or would you want to get your biological child?

This happend some years ago where a child passed away and the biological parents found out that it was not there child. Then they took the other parents to court to get their biological child back.

I think I would fight to keep the child I've always known and allow visitations.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Hard to say. I think a part of me would want "my" child, since I gave birth to it, but technically, the child I had been raising would be "mine" as well. I think I'd agree, and try to get visitation.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
I absolutely have no idea what I would do.

I did want to share a fact though: On average, 12 babies daily are given to the wrong parents around the world. :( :( :(

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
that is a scary fact!!!

I would keep my child, the one I have been raising. I would probably allow the bio parents to see them.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Interesting question. I agree it's hard to say, but I hope I would fight to keep the child I raised (I would be the only mother the kid knows), allow very liberal visitation to the other parents, and try to establish a relationship with the child I gave birth to.

The hospital in which I gave birth had strict policies to prevent this. Pretty much the second our kids were born a nurse who witnessed the birth put ID bracelets on their ankles. These matched with the ID bracelets on my husband's and my wrists. The ID bracelets couldn't be taken off and had a sensor that was triggered anytime one approached an exit. When triggered an alarm went off and the doors locked.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yay are hospital had those as well. Of course next time I won't have to worry about my child being mixed up

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Ari2 said:
Interesting question. I agree it's hard to say, but I hope I would fight to keep the child I raised (I would be the only mother the kid knows), allow very liberal visitation to the other parents, and try to establish a relationship with the child I gave birth to.

The hospital in which I gave birth had strict policies to prevent this. Pretty much the second our kids were born a nurse who witnessed the birth put ID bracelets on their ankles. These matched with the ID bracelets on my husband's and my wrists. The ID bracelets couldn't be taken off and had a sensor that was triggered anytime one approached an exit. When triggered an alarm went off and the doors locked.
same here...and they actually scanned the braslets everytime the baby went to or from our room.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
We had the braclets as well except they didn't put one on my first born twin until she was in the room. They handed her to my mother and my mother walked her to the room.
My littlest twins braclet kept falling off so I made them put another one on. I showed my mom, I slid it off her wrist and said "how easy is this?"

LisaOwen05

Jun 27, 2007
Australia
Oh GOSH i dont know what id be like...

I think id be shocked...
But like some of u gals have said... id wanna see the other child aswell...

i had them id braclets with owen aswell....
thank god lol

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I would first make sure that the other child (my bio child) was happy, healthy, and safe, being raised by competent people in a good environment. If not, I would petition for custody of both children. If they were, I would want to keep the one I was raising and allow visitations between both families.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I do not know what I would do. I guess it's one of those things where you have to be put into that situation to really know. I would want to keep my kid that I fell in love with but then I would want to see my bio child too. Keeping the non bio one and getting visitation for the bio child seems like the only solution to feeling that way I guess.

I did see a movie on lifetime about this. It was based on the true story. One of the girl's died and the other girl's mom had died. That would be totally heartbreaking.

I think most hospitals now have the bracelets that do not allow you off the ob floor with them.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
This is horrible to say but for the longest time I didn't think my littlest twin was mine because they took her from me so fast and the braclet kept coming off so I always wondered. Of course I can tell know but back then it was a very scary thought.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Is there anything legally that can be done if, perhaps, the "biological" mother wants her own child back? Just curious.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
We thought about it alot when I was pregnant with my first, since he was conceived through IVF. We thought what if they messed up the embryos and transfer me someone else's...what would we do?!

Well, no matter how much we thought about it, we still had no clue! That would be a he** of a situation...