How can we help newbies?...

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
ok, i've just posted on an old thread since i thought it's relevant an important. why create another thread with the same title? then somebody again has the same issue, and there's one more thread with the same title? i don't see the logic.
and if a thread isn't locked, means posting allowed. if the rule is for serious, it should be enforced, then there would be no confusion.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
You realize that in order for every old thread to be locked, that the moderators who literally volunteer their time here to be nice, would have to go into every single one and manually lock every single one because this forum isn't equipped to do that kind of thing automatically and the mods have no way of changing that. They can only suggest it to the administrators.

I don't know about you, but I would rather not take who knows how much time to go through hundreds of threads and close them. So that's a bit much for you to be demanding of a volunteer.

I don't know why people have such a problem with being responsible and taking two seconds to peek at the date on a last post. Its not that hard.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
natalie, there's only two here and one of them just had a baby. maybe you should volunteer?

agree xero, it's much easier to just look at the date and start a new thread if something is important enough to want to post an answer.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
We've actually only got like two active mods right now for this whole forum. As you said, its a small community and we don't need a dozen mods to regulate the safety of our threads. There's no reason we should get ten other moderators just to go through all the hundreds of old threads and close them just because certain people don't feel as though they shouldn't have to put two seconds of effort into moderating THEMSELVES.

That's just so lazy. It would be nice, but its not within anyone's control to change the programming of this forum besides the administrators.

Once you KNOW the rules, I don't see any reason why they should be difficult to follow.

sikirulai

May 21, 2007
I thank you for the job everyone is doing on this forum. I also think it would be better if every contributor tries not to repeat the title of old thread.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
The rules of the forum are put in place by the administrators (Sanjay and Susie), not the moderators. So, we're just enforcing the rules that they set. And quite honestly, the 30 day rule isn't completely hardfast. I'll let it be pushed to 45 days, sometimes 2 months if I feel that it's worthwhile. Same with site linking... if a new person comes in and says "hey, check out my blog", I'll nix it right away. If a regular comes in a posts a link and says "Hey, check out this information", I'll let it slide. The rules are there, but they're discretionary.

There's not enough activity here to warrant another mod right now... yes, right now I'm by myself, but Fallon will be back as soon as she feels up to it. When we're both here, we're pretty on top of things. And she and I are usually on the same page, and can be pretty consistent.

The regulars here know how this forum is run and what is allowed and not allowed and can help police the situation. And that's very helpful. I know that when I'm not around, I can count on people like Xero, 16th, IADad, Bssage, Cthru, F06, on and on to help out even though they can't actually go in and delete & edit threads.

As far as threads being locked, if they're locked they don't show up in search results for search engine spiders. Thus, number of people we're helping goes down. Believe me, ALOT of people view this site, most of them just never sign up. If you sit and watch the people come online, it's amazing how many guests we get.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Sirk was an employee of Crowdgather (the company that runs this forum) and was unfortunately laid off. She has since found another job, but I'm not sure where.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I miss you Fallon. :) <333 Beautiful little picture you have there. What a doll.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
Bub's a real cutie fallon. I am sorry to hear about sirks job. Troubling times:(

But i digress. I think if people are wanting to talk about a naturally popular topic like myspace or drugs or sex then maybe there should be a little wiggle room when it comes to old threads.
On the other hand if they are reigniting an old debate and nobody had changed their position or thought of anything new to say it might be time to start a new thread regardless of if it is a previously raised topic.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
but doesn't that both make the mods jobs harder and leave people confused about what ther rules are?

I see thie pooint, you do see old stuff sometimes and say "hey, I have this or that to say on that topic, so open a new thread and re-state the question. Sure it seems a little redundant when there's already a thread open, but it does keep the rules easier (i.e. consistent)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
lol I wanted to be serious but I can't stop laughing at your edit reason.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
I guess it possibly does make it a bit harder. maybe we can sticky popular topics for reading then?