How can you make your child understand?...

Helina

Aug 25, 2016
Canada
Recently I've doubted my child has started telling some basic lies. I know we all lie and it may not be harmful most of the time. But obviously its not a good habit. So how do you prevent them do it or make them understand that it's not the right thing to do. Especially when they are aware that some elders do lie.

SamarthGodara

Sep 23, 2016
India
Hello Helina,
I am a psychologist, in your situation i would like to tell you that you should stop lying in front of your child. As you said that a little bit of lying is okay but they kids dont know the line where to stop it and it can grow bad in his psychology.
I would advice you to tell truth in front of him, if you see him hearing or listening a lie then you should point out in front of him so that he would also grow the capability of knowing that lies are not natural things and everyone should keep away from it as much as possible.

Vdad

PF Enthusiast
May 28, 2016
How old are your kids?

First, "A little lying" isn't OK. I'm not sure why you're giving yourselves a pass here for behavior you don't accept in your kids. They watch, they listen, they learn. The solution to your problem might be as simple as showing them better, more truthful behavior yourself.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
When my daughter lies to me I want to find the core problem as to why she lied in the first place. It's usually out of fear of how she thinks I would react and getting into trouble.
This is when we talk about emotional reactions and worst case scenarios if she tells the truth and what can happen if she doesn't tell the truth. I've told her the story of the boy who cried wolf, too.
She's normally an overly honest person, now, as she tells things to my own mom I would rather her not knowing.