how did you explain 'gay' ?...

Frank

Mar 18, 2011
I think adults sometimes put more emphasis and worry on the subject than needed. My husband and I have five kids (11, 7, 4, 22m & 16m) and while they realize most couples are male/female, they don't even ask questions about why their parents are male/male. They understand they have two parents who love each other and love them and that's all it is. We just live our lives day to day and don't dwell on being "gay" or "different" but just being a "family." It's not scary nor abnormal to them, it just is what it is and they are fine with it.

Now when other adults and/or children make an issue of it, are rude/hateful, that's when they are a bit confused, like what's the big deal?

I think if you teach your child to be polite and treat <I>all</I> people with respect and kindness then there shouldn't be any problems. You don't even have to specifically answer or explain gay in my opinion and if/when children ask specifically one shouldn't make an issue of it but answer truthfully and simple:<I> they love each other </I>or some families have two dads/two moms.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Frank said:
Now when other adults and/or children make an issue of it, are rude/hateful, that's when they are a bit confused, like what's the big deal?

I think if you teach your child to be polite and treat <I>all</I> people with respect and kindness then there shouldn't be any problems. You don't even have to specifically answer or explain gay in my opinion and if/when children ask specifically one shouldn't make an issue of it but answer truthfully and simple:<I> they love each other </I>or some families have two dads/two moms.
Yup - this makes me think of a conversation I had with my DD the other day - she came hope from school and asked me what's a racist. I told her its somebody who thinks you can tell what a person thinks or how smart he is just by looking at the colour of his skin or where he comes from. She frowned, looked confused, and said " but that's stupid!". I just said yes, it is.

No lesson needed here. She figured it out all by herself :)

And I don't see that gay needs to be treated as anything other than explaining that some people are prejudiced, but really, it says more about them than about the person they are judging. Everyone is free to love who they want, and it doesn't change who they are.

alter ego

PF Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2011
the bush, Australia
Well put Frank!
My children understand that there are many different sorts of families, and have since birth, since my mums are lesbians, their godmother is a single mum and one of my nephews is adopted.
Its a non event to them