How do you bathe your child?...

cfaithannw

Apr 10, 2012
PA
(I'm not exactly sure if this goes here)
I was wondering how people choose to wash their children? I know of someone who washes their child with bare hands, privates and all. I don't think its appropriate. What is your stance on this subject?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Bare hands...? While I don't see how that's any less contact than using your hand with a wash cloth over it (sorry to say, my hands come in contact with my boys' privates often enough, it's just part of caring for a child), I don't see how that can get them as clean as I would like. You can soap them up with a hand, but not really scrub off dirt and marks and stuff. I personally use washcloths on my kids, I bath them together on a non slip mat in the bath tub about half full. I use Aveeno. I don't usually put bubbles in, but sometimes. Not sure what other information you're looking for.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
When they needed me to bathe them, same as Xero, with a washcloth (or fun shaped sponges, bathtime is so much more fun when youre being cleaned with a spongey elephant)

Chidrens privates need to be cleaned, its not inappropriate to clean them when they are not old enough to do it themselves.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I soap up my hands and scrub away. I gave birth to them, i change their poopy diapers, i have been pee'd on, pucked on and any number of other things. Using a wash cloth just isnt at the top of my list of extra stuff to add to my laundry pile.

BabyAngel

PF Fanatic
Feb 6, 2012
Deux-Montagnes, Quebec, Canada
I'm with mom2many on that one... I usually just use (used) my bare hands.

I do the same for myself though ! People sometimes tell me that I can't be as clean.. but I never smelled bad.. When I was dishes, I don't always use a scotchbright...

Most of what you have to wash away is dried up body fluid ... with the occasional added sugar/dirt/etc... it all comes off easily by hand !

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
sometimes bare hands sometimes scrubbies, especially when something needs extra scrubbing, as for privates you clean and move on and don't make a big deal of it, it's a part that needs to be cleaned,. period. No big deal unless you make it into a big deal.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
IADad said:
sometimes bare hands sometimes scrubbies, especially when something needs extra scrubbing, as for privates you clean and move on and don't make a big deal of it, it's a part that needs to be cleaned,. period. No big deal unless you make it into a big deal.
^^^ That ^^^

Its not inappropriate if you're just washing and moving on when they are too young to do it themselves.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Wash the kids???

I still have to give chloe a bath. But I give her the wash cloth and say "Cootie and da scootie" She knows what that means.

momtoallkids

PF Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2012
agawam,ma
my oldest showers on his own, for the most part. i have to remind him of extra dirty areas, like his ankles. my daughter (7) we do a "super scrubdown". throw on the shower, scrub her down fast, rinse her off, and done lol. the 18mo..... he takes showers with daddy most of the time as a time saver. but him.... wash him like a dish lol thats what the dr said anyway lol

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
All of my kids bathe themselves, I help Sash, Sunny and Lux with their hair though, and Sash haas to be told what to clean, or he will forget, but he can do it himself.

ChrisNP

May 10, 2012
New York
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but not only don't I think there's anything wrong with washing a child with bare hands, but most days, I take our son into the shower with me. We used to give him baths, but always had difficulty washing his hair, with him not enjoying having water pored over his head.

One time, I took him in the shower, figuring it would be easier to rinse the soap in the mist of the shower, and he just loved it. Now he doesn't mind getting his head wet, and he loves to splash around. I'll alternate making the water cold and then warm, and he laughs his head off.

I vaguely recall occasionally being taken into the shower with my parents, and I see nothing inappropriate in doing the same with our son. I think people have gotten way too uptight about things like this today.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Everytime I see this thread title I think it something a little more... reasonable, like "At what age did you stop using the baby bath?" or "At what age did your kid start having regular showers instead of baths" or something like that.

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
Incogneato said:
Water hose all the way...

Funny you say this.. I left my brother and son in charge of my youngest boy, ( then 2), for an hour once. Came home to find him naked in the front yard while my brother was spraying him with our water hose. Mind you, the baby was loving it, but my brother was uncomfortable with washing his rear end with his hands.

For me, when they were too young to wash themselves.. I did it with whatever was there.. sponge, rag, or hands. Never occurred to me that it would be inappropriate.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
There is a picture of me somewhere that is about when my mom came home from work and dad supposed watching me.

I was in a playpen in the front yard (Florida) with a piece of paper baby clipped to my chest that read "I Shitted"

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
LMAO bssage!!! Omg I would kick my husband!! hahaha.

ChrisNP, you think you're bad, I'm a mom and if necessary I will take either of my boys in the shower with me. :D I took a bath with the baby every single time from when he was born until he was about 8 or 9 months old when he had no problem sitting in the tub with my 4.5 year old. I hate baby bathtubs. They are uncomfortable and slippery IMO.