How do you handle an 18 yr old?...

btnk68

Jan 6, 2008
As with many people on this board, Im having some trouble with my child and Im not sure the way I'm handleing issues that arrise are the best course of action. My son is 18 yrs old, he attends the local University and lives at home. So far through the first semister of college he has managed to put together a less than impressive 1.55 gpa. He has found it more important to hang out with his friends and party and not attend classes. He has proven time and time again that if he applies himself he can do the work and get good grades. We have talked about making some significant changes in his behavoir, but I'm not confident he is really going to follow through.

I have told him if he does not improve his grades significantly and take his education and future more seriously I will not continue to pay for Tuition.

I have thought about giving him a curfew, taking away his social life and imposing several other restrictions on him to help him focus on the things that are really important.

Truely though, I feel as if I am not making a difference in his life and anything I do or say will go in one ear and out the other.

Any thoughts we be appreciated.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I personally think that anyone over 18 should be financially responsible. So tell him that if he gets below a C average (or whatever you set) that he will need to either pay rent or move out. Or that he will have to pay for his own schooling, or whatever. Maybe if he had financial consequences, he wouldn't be able to party so much and would concentrate on his studies.

Scott W

Jan 6, 2008
Minnesota
<FONT font="Arial">An 18 year old individual is no longer a child, but a young adult that still needs your support, but not your financial support if he's not using the $ appropriately. Let your young adult know that he's going to have to pay for his own classes that he fails.

ScottCounseling.com provides other helpful information.

SW:)

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Scott, you appear to be spamming this forum. In other words, your intent is simply to promote your site. We discourage this. However, if you become active\regular member, we don't have a problem with our members telling us about their own sites and what they offer. Thx :)