How far would you drive for a good school?...

Claire64

PF Fanatic
Mar 10, 2008
I have been looking into private schools for my daughter, Kathleen, who is going to be in second grade next year. One school that a friend recommended to me and I have been looking at seems like it would be a great fit for her. Admissions have already taken place, but there are a few openings in second grade, so I would be able to get her in.

The only problem with this school is that it is about 25 miles away and would take about 30-40 minutes to drive to, each way. I'm not sure if it would work for us. My husband works between our house and the school, so he would be able to take her most mornings, but I would have to pick her up from school every day.

Would you send your child to a school this far away from your house?

etceterae

PF Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2008
My friend needs to drive an hour to go to his private school. It's really worth it though, since it draws international students and is recognized by Harvard and Yale.

I think it would really depend, though, on how far away your workplace is. My mother used to send me to school up until a few months ago. It's only 20 miles away, but my mom's workplace is an hour away in a skewed direction.

I would go and take a look at the higher levels in the school you'd like to send Kathleen to. If you feel it's something that she'd enjoy (and be brutally honest), go for it, and pray that our next president does something about gas prices =]

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Claire64 said:
I have been looking into private schools for my daughter, Kathleen, who is going to be in second grade next year. One school that a friend recommended to me and I have been looking at seems like it would be a great fit for her. Admissions have already taken place, but there are a few openings in second grade, so I would be able to get her in.

The only problem with this school is that it is about 25 miles away and would take about 30-40 minutes to drive to, each way. I'm not sure if it would work for us. My husband works between our house and the school, so he would be able to take her most mornings, but I would have to pick her up from school every day.

Would you send your child to a school this far away from your house?
From the time I was 4 years old til I graduated High School, my commute on the bus was at least 1 hour each way. You get used to it :)

Is there no buses going there?

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
I went to Upper Canada College (private school in Toronto) I had a one hour bus ride each way, unless dad drove me, then it was 35 mins.

I'm what's known as an "old boy" now. Great school.

Claire64

PF Fanatic
Mar 10, 2008
Thanks for your responses!

The school that she would be going to is a private school, so there is no busing. It is a k-8 school, so I was hoping that if it works out, she could stay there through middle school, then go to either our local high school, or we could find a private prep school for her.

The school is about 35-40 minutes from our house. My husband's work is about 20 minutes from our house, in exactly the same direction. So, he could leave, drop her off at school and get to work in about 50-55 minutes.

Right now I'm thinking that this is our best option. This school is really strong in academics and the curriculum that they use is a lot more advanced than public school, which is what we are looking for.

etceterae

PF Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2008
Go for it, Claire. But one thing I beg you to remember (and it's really important to start now) is that if she goes to a private school, she'll be more sheltered and pampered than if she goes to a public one. Let her suffer a few hardships if you don't want her to get a cotton-candy-pink perception of life and become snobby. =]

Claire64

PF Fanatic
Mar 10, 2008
Thanks everyone.

I took a trip out to the school this morning and started the registration process. She has to do some testing before she is accepted, but I'm confident that she'll get in.

Thanks