how i abused my Rights as a parent of a child at a local high school...

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
Whoa! You really took your time with all the correspondence. I'd never had the patience. Would have told the kid to put some gibberish on that personal statement and simply pulled a sickie for that holiday.
But you hit the nail on the head. School isn't about education. Its indoctrination

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
It's kind of hard to sympathize with your sardonic tone when you never divulge what actually happened. Was this "personal and private information" actually something that the school or law enforcement had a duty to investigate? Or would a reasonable person, from the same culture, agree that you had a right to privacy in that instance?

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
I understand that it was a school assignment. Maybe not really a "human rights" infringement to get sassy about, however, regarding "our culture" that is a big problem. Most people would not think twice about disclosing something what the certain body has no business of knowing. Plus with the "culture" of snooping and surveillance, you have to be really careful what you put in writing for others to see.

mummabear92

PF Regular
Apr 26, 2016
Love it, very inspiring!

I think that alot of people not just parents do not feel like they know how to approach something they feel is unjust! Where do you begin, what can you actually do about it? I think its so difficult to challenge establishments, because if you want to hit them where it hurts, I believe you need to have money or be well connected! Even so I think even if you have this it only changes the situation for yourself and not for everyone.

What will it take to stop establishments abusing there rights and the rights of others. People need to be educated on there rights, but I do feel like we are fighting a losing battle!

The letter is great, and the book sounds great, but I think if you really want the school to change its attitudes you should cause them much more trouble! You could try getting a few other mums on side, make a fuss outside the school, give out leaflets raise awareness of what's going on and definitely go to media outlets! I'm not sure if you already did this but I do love it when people stick it to the man! Schools seem to reach obedience not free thinking!

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
They just sound like comments from regular people who think you're being a tad ridiculous...

Can't say I disagree with them.