How old to shop alone?...

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I had an idea today, and wanted to gauge its social acceptability. We have a small grocer in our community. It's not a superstore by any means. It has maybe 10 aisles and 2 checkstands. All the parking is storefront, and the whole front of the building is large windows. There are rarely more than 3 people there at a time, maybe 5 when it's busy. It's kind of a cross between a grocer and a convenience store, except without a liquor store. I stop there often when I only have a few things to grab, because it's not far and is better stocked than a gas station. I know the manager and all the checkers.

Today I wanted to run in and get some peanuts, but two of my kids were asleep in the car and I really didn't want to wake them up and drag them inside for one item that I didn't absolutely need. So I joked to my daughter, 6, that I should just send her in there with some money. She was excited about it, and very disappointed that I didn't end up stopping. So my question is... how do people feel about sending a 6-year-old alone to buy a few items?

When I was a kid, we'd ride our bikes to the gas station and buy candy all the time. And my father used to walk to the store for his parents and pick up staples on credit when he was young. But those were different times, and I'm not sure it would go over as well nowadays. I mean technically my daughter is capable of walking into a store, finding what she needs, and taking it to the checkstand. I have her do it all the time, albeit in my presence. What do you think? Would it be precocious to send her in by herself while I waited in the car?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I've done it, I've even sent Sash in to get something.

That said, I live in a small are, th supermarket is tiny and everyne knowseveryone by name.

I think it teaches them a bit of responsibility.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Given the circumstances you described. You bet. I would send her in. I cant remember at what age. But I sent Cole in when he was pretty young to get a soda or something.

I know Cole is older now. But last week I let him go into the gas station to get a soda after school. I see him open the bottle and get in my truck. "Are you going to pay for that????" He was "OH CRAP!" and ran back in real quick. Super funny. Still funny.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I think by the age of 11 all of my kids are pro's with my debit card. Like you our town has a small store, and it's not uncommon for the adults to just send in the kids to grab a few things or see kids that age riding their bikes to get a few things.

I know many would thing 6 is to young, but honestly you know your child better then anyone. If you think she could handle it, then by all means send her in.

Shaun Austin

Banned
Oct 22, 2012
Here in the UK we would never send them completly on their own at that age but if you are there in the car park i'm sure its fine. As long as you can see your child enter and exit the shop. One thing I wouldn't do is let any of my kids use my debit card. If they knew my pin number my balance would always be really low and I would look around the house and be like 'I don't remember bying that' while Sam and callum look rather sheepish!!!

ikon99

PF Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2012
Arizona
I would send a 6 y/o into a small shop like that but not a Super Wal Mart. Not because someong might snatch her but because she will end up in the toy asile for hours, and hours.

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
ikon99 said:
I would send a 6 y/o into a small shop like that but not a Super Wal Mart. Not because someong might snatch her but because she will end up in the toy asile for hours, and hours.
lol. Yep. Just what I was thinking!

She's in more danger of being injured during the car ride than of being abducted or molested in the store, so I wouldn't have any safety issues with this. Just a matter of if you think she can remember what she's supposed to be getting and not lose the money on the way!

Of course, there's always the chance that there's someone who sees her and thinks "OMG, what kind of parent would sit in the car and send a child into the store??? Call CPS!" :rolleyes:

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Shaun Austin said:
Here in the UK we would never send them completly on their own at that age but if you are there in the car park i'm sure its fine. As long as you can see your child enter and exit the shop. One thing I wouldn't do is let any of my kids use my debit card. If they knew my pin number my balance would always be really low and I would look around the house and be like 'I don't remember bying that' while Sam and callum look rather sheepish!!!
Half the time I don't even have my card. I have to figure out which kid has it. They have never purchased anything without my approval. It's usually because, especially with the older ones, they are going into town and it is just easier to give them a list. We live out in the country so the stores aren't close and it makes no sense to make 2 trips to the same place.

Testing

PF Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2012
akmom said:
Today I wanted to run in and get some peanuts, but two of my kids were asleep in the car and I really didn't want to wake them up and drag them inside for one item that I didn't absolutely need. So I joked to my daughter, 6, that I should just send her in there with some money. She was excited about it, and very disappointed that I didn't end up stopping. So my question is... how do people feel about sending a 6-year-old alone to buy a few items?
I would not do that. There is likely a rear entry to the store. You just never know who is going to be there.

Adam Walsh was snatched out of a Target at six years old, and his Dad was merely around the corner (John Walsh, that guy who does those TV shows about finding missing persons and catching criminals). His body was found later.

No way. I didnt' send my kids in until they were 12 or so. It is just not the same world as 50 years ago.

Cartter

Sep 10, 2012
new york
Cute family pic and i will say that every family member must try to give their kids a chance to move on in the market to buy something as it will bring maturity in them and will also give them confidence build up

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
i probably would in the situation you described. mine all too young right now for me to have any real experience in the matter but 6 sounds a lot younger than it is and at the end of the day you know your own daughter better than anyone else and you know what she is and isn't capable of. i think if you know the owner/cashiers etc they would probably keep a bit of an eye on her while she was in there anyway.

deasy

Nov 6, 2011
Take your child along when shopping at the a very young/tender age...show him/her stuffs...how to pick,buy stuffs.

So,at the child's purberty stage i think...he/she is old enough to go shopping alone...