How should I deal with difficult school staff...

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
My daughter is going to the big high school in a couple weeks. Out of curiosity, I checked out a site where you can review teachers. I saw some good things with most of the teachers I expect she'll have, but there are some exceptions. Turns out the math teacher has a very low rating and there are quite a few reviews about her over the years. It's said there's been some complaints regarding threats, bullying and neglectful teaching by that specific teacher and the most recent post is doesn't say any different. The principal and vice principal have low ratings, too, for yelling at kids and parents.
During the open house earlier this year, I wanted to introduce myself the to the principal. He didn't seem equally as interested as he was very quick to send along my way. Strange.
I don't want any trouble with any school staff this year, but so far, most of the key staff seem sarcastic, condescending and rude. The guidance counsellor, without my stating who I was and before she met my daughter, immediately piped that my daughter's file will be sent there from her old school and there's no need to say any more. Uhh. Are there portraits attached to these files?

I'm not comfortable with confrontation and I really don't want my daughter to feel uncomfortable in her classes, especially math where she needs the most help. I know I shouldn't rely on a few unproven reviews on a website. But after meeting these people I'm sort of convinced that there is something to the claims.
If I do come across a situation where I don't think the teacher or school staff is being respectful, what should I do? How can I ensure a smooth few years for my daughter? She's a good kid, never gets sent to the office for bad behaviour, but she does have some issues that have caused concerns. I would consider sending her to a Sudbury school, but there are none in my city.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Nothing has happened yet, it's not worth worrying about. I'm not sure what situation you are anticipating happening (and those teacher rating sites are not worth a second glance) but issues with other people are completely situational, you can't know what to do until it happens.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I do t understand all of this stress when school hasn't started. If a problem arises you deal with it but right now it's almost like you're lucky I king for trouble.