how to potty train babies?...

momat18

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2011
potty training babies is a very difficutl task and i am not sure i can do it. i am just waiting my 2 year old son to learn it himself. do you think it is possible that he would learn it himself like develop this thing that he has to go to the washroom? or will i have to force him to learn?

momat18

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2011
he is 2 years old. do you think it is too early to try to train him. i tried for a few days. i used to take off his diaper and when i felt he needed to poo, i placed him on the potty seat. bought two different kinds of seats to try which one would work but none of it worked. he held it but did not poo on the seat. and when i let him get up from the seat, he used to do it on the floor. he did it everywhere except the toilet and on the seat. now, i think it is too early and i should wait for a couple few months before i should try it again. please advise if this is correct.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Chances are its too early. The important thing is that you don't start when YOU'RE ready, but when HE is. Some kids are ready at 2, some are not. I started with my ODS when he was 2.5 and looking back I think he could have been more ready for it. If you start too early it will be more stressful and more of a struggle for both of you, and it will take longer. He wont do it on his own though, you will definitely have to train him. But its important that he is easily able to communicate that he has to go, he is able to recognize when he has to go, and that he UNDERSTANDS that pee/poo goes in the potty and can remember. Good luck!

On a site note however, we do not allow advertising in signatures or posts, which includes blog pimping. I'm sorry, but I had to remove the web address from your signature. You are more than welcome to put the link in the "homepage" section of your profile however. :)

Squishy

PF Regular
Aug 13, 2011
I understand the desire to be done with the diaper thing, especially as they get older and it really gets grosser!

2 is too young, the neurological connection btw'n the brain and the bowels and bladder aren't strong enough for them to exercise control. So, premature attempts at potty training result in failure and frustration for both parent and child.

RegalSin

Banned
Sep 3, 2011
I tried the same thing I did with my puppies. Sqaut down, and pretend to do the deed, on the toilet. It really depends on age.

Eventually they will do it on their own.
Now you need to show them how to wipe their own buts, and clean their privates.

Same thing as tying shoe laces.

sarahmurphymoo

Sep 16, 2011
I recently read this article on reward charts which explains how mums and dads should also go through the whole potty training regime themselves as kids learn best by copying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
sarahmurphymoo - Sorry for the inconvenience, but we do not allow outside linking here. :( I had to remove it from your post. Enjoy posting! :)

beatesu

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
USA
garmentaccessories freeluntan com/t3-canada-goose-egg-addling
darklordclothier info/2011/10/what-is-a-moncler-hat-like/
children-underwear sosblogs com/The-first-blog-b1/The-Chic-And-Classy-Moncler-Jackets-b1-p7 htm
cycling-wear perfectblog net/The-first-blog-b1/The-Air-Jordan-one-Via-All-the-Decades-b1-p6 htm
basketball-wear freeblog bz/The-first-blog-b1/Identifying-and-Buying-the-Authentic-Air-Jordan-Retro-1-b1-p6 htm
arthritis uphero com/index php?page=article&article_id=105530
articlesubmission de/index php?page=article&article_id=151871
articlesfreehub com/what-is-a-moncler-hat-like/
ultimatearticledirectory com/index php?page=article&article_id=660625
buckles cool5web com/

looklovesend

Dec 21, 2011
I know with my little 1 1/2 year old girl, she's gotten to the point where she takes off her diaper after going in it, we think she's getting very close to being ready to be potty trained. However it seems there is no right or wrong age, just depends on their growth and development.

JBKB3

PF Regular
Jun 1, 2011
Edmond, Ok
My oldest daughter (now 10) was potty trained at about 2yrs. We bribed her with M&Ms and when she went everyone in the house would cheer and clap for her. Eventually she forgot about the candy and the cheers were enough. Even at night time she only had 4-5 accidents after changing to big girl panties. I know people say not to bribe but it worked well for my oldest and worked ok with my middle dauther.

However, my middle daughter (3yrs, 4 in March) was mostly potty trained shortly after turning 3. We also used M&Ms to get her to go on the potty. By mostly I mean she went on the potty anywhere but at home. She went on the potty every time at school or church, but only part of the time at home. She is very strong willed and independent and was very much trying to show us she controlled when she went to the potty. We didn't let it get to us and eventually she decided to go to the potty at home too. Not at night yet though, she is getting close. There are times she will wake up and go on her own, other times she has already gone but will get up, take her sleeping panties (pull-ups) off and get a dry pull-up. Then there are nights where she won't do either. It will come to her though.

As previously mentioned, no right age... depends on the kid. I would suggest trying a bit of potty training and see how it goes. If it doesn't seem to be working, don't get upset or frustrated. Give it a few more months and try again. It will happen eventually as long as you are trying. I would say that by 3-3.5 yrs though they should at least be showing some concept of knowing what to do and where to do it.

JB

amyk

PF Regular
Nov 29, 2011
My daughter learned in the three year old age range. I remember feeling anxiety because she was starting preschool and i assumed that she would have to be potty trained to go to school. It turned out that the school I enrolled her in didnt require kids to be potty trained as a requirement. She wasn't fully trained when she went in.
I remember being frustrated as all heck wtih my daughter. I tried all sorts of material bribes to get her to use the toilet. I got her stickers, stuff from the dollar store, a robot from the robot store in the mall, etc.
Finally I remember telling her teacher's assistant in exasperation that I coudln't get my child to use the toilet. The teacher's aide had a number of years of experience in the job (plus kids of her own). She told me she would work with my daughter.
Sure enough my daughter listened to her and not to me. She used a folder. Each time my child used the toilet she would get a sticker in her folder. By the end of the week, she was using the toilet consistently!
You never know! I wish I could give good advice but after my situation I wouldnt know what to do again if I had a second child to potty train(Id be back to bribing I guess).
Good luck! I do remember everyone telling me that my daughter will not go down the wedding aisle in diapers. LOL
Amy K

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
There really isn't a right or wrong way and each child is different. I work in child care and study and meet with world famous child physiologists but still all I can tell you is to wait. I he is still Gavin lots of accidents maybe try putting her back in a pull up and waiting a little longer and then re introducing knickers as a reward for being such a big girl etc. That's all I can really suggest though

violette2012

Banned
Jan 12, 2012
France
&lt;r&gt;&lt;FONT font="Calibri"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;I never bought a &lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;potty, and this is whay&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;SIZE size="3"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<SIZE size="125">&lt;/s&gt;&lt;FONT font="Calibri"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;I’ve raised my son at home, and each time I went to the toilet, when he started to walk he was following me and was observing me.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;SIZE size="3"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<SIZE size="125">&lt;/s&gt;&lt;FONT font="Calibri"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;One day (at 2 and half) he has refused to wear his diaper (he pulled it out) and has showed me the toilet room, with his hand has shown me that he wanted to seat on the toilet. He did not pee, but he laughed and looked very proud.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;SIZE size="3"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<SIZE size="125">&lt;/s&gt;&lt;FONT font="Calibri"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;From that day on he never had worn diapers. However, for 3 months he had few accidents at home.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

Andrea Brown

Jan 5, 2012
Honestly, I think that boys are ready to train later than girls. My friend (who is a grandma now) waited until her boys were 3 to train them.

Having said that, I have taught my 2 year old son to pee on the potty when I ask him to, but as his favourite word is "NO!", we really aren't working intently at training. We're planning to wait until 3.

Best wishes!

Anne M

Oct 17, 2011
Philippines
When I potty trained my son I didn't do any research and just when ahead and did it. Luckily my son was a willing student.

However, a year after, I started researching and even wrote a few potty training posts and what the experts say is that it's best to potty train when your child is a willing student and is ready.

When he starts showing interest (emotional readiness) and can follow simple instructions, walk properly, hold pee in (along with other physical signs of readiness) then you'll know it's time.

Not sure you'll get anything from forcing your child to learn unless you count frustration and tears.

Oh and don't compare your child with other kids as they all develop at different rates. Meaning some kids can learn to potty at 2 and some at a later age.

Last edited: