How to protect children from internet threats...

Sumera

Apr 5, 2013
India
The internet provides children and young people with a wealth of opportunities for their entertainment, communication and education. But there are also risks of harm through the deliberate behavior of others online, and through exposure to inappropriate content. With children spending time online at younger and younger ages, it is vital that we explicitly teach young children how to protect themselves online. Most young children get the "Stranger Danger" talk at school, so they know about how to handle strangers in their neighborhood and in face-to-face situations.
As children grow up in an increasingly digital world, they need to be aware of the risks they face online. Everyone can play a part in keeping children safe and the internet industries have a particular responsibility to create tools and information to help. Internet safety policies and guidelines can help make the Internet a safer experience for your family members. Tips for children are:
· Always ask your parents' permission before using your full name, address, telephone number or school name anywhere on the Internet.
· Always tell your parents or guardian if you see something online that you know is wrong or that makes you feel uncomfortable. Don't respond to messages that make you feel uncomfortable or uneasy.
· Never give out a credit card number or password online.
· Never send out your picture without your parents' permission.
· Be careful when someone offers you something for nothing, such as gifts or money.
· Don't ever accept a gift or an offer that involves having someone visit your house.
· Never arrange to meet someone you've met online in person unless you discuss it with your parents and an adult goes with you.
· Talk to your parents to set up rules for going online. Decide with them the best time of day to be online, the length of time to be online and appropriate areas to visit.
· Get to know your "online friends" just as you get to know all of your other friends. Be sure that you are dealing with someone that you and your parents know and trust before giving out any personal information about yourself via email.

School can play a major role in this as they can influence children to be safe online. Schools and teachers can do awareness campaigns and make them use simple technologies available to keep them always from threats and help them use internet in a positive way as well.

lolly jone

Aug 17, 2013
Always ask your parents' permission before using your full name, address, telephone number or school name anywhere on the Internet
i think this is the major tip
thanks

youngsteve

Dec 3, 2013
Havana
Well due to technology advanced, in this digital age our children were easily learn the use of internet. But it is quite hard to make aware them with the worst results of using internet in a very small age. Before using internet we should give proper guidance to our children. Therefore parental guidance is more essential for using internet.

lisayvonnem

Aug 17, 2010
Well perhaps you should think about what you want him/her to do on the computer ? I think it is important to have some software that is worthwhile to use, and not a waste of time. I have DD use computer to do online worksheets. Her teacher sent us to this site beestar for online learning. This online learning way helps DD make a great progress.
Lisa

Palomita

Banned
Jan 1, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
There are various ways to restrict children's access to the Internet. There are filters that allow viewing of certain sites.

The main goal is to teach your child that there are rules and they must be respected. I said do not touch the computer in my absence and they listen me.

Sorry for very bad english!

MamaRuthie

PF Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2013
melbourne
I always try to talk to ellie about what it is she is using the computer for and make sure she isn't on it for too long there are lots of other things she is missing out on if shes on the compyter too much anyway also our computer is in the kitchen and she isn't aloud one in her bedroom which I think is important her phone has internet access but she doesn't have much data so its not like she is on it for ages

Palomita

Banned
Jan 1, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
Encourage the children to practice sport.
Sport builds discipline in children and young people. Just try with football, voleyball, baketball or other thing.

Sorry for my bad english!

ella

PF Regular
Feb 17, 2014
I would suggest always being there when your child using the internet. Only allow them to use it for so long a day and make it be known that if they are on a site you do not approve of, you will ground them from it.