How to protect my children from Mormon cult?...

Mama4ever

PF Regular
Dec 9, 2009
parentastic said:
Even people who reject the christian religion at a later age end up having to deal with shame and guilt throughout most of their life. The influence is profound.
I've read that up to 80% of mental illnesses can be rooted in misinterpretations of religious doctrines. I don't know the source of the study - I just read it in a LDS book of all things (considering UT, highly influenced by Mormonism, is #1 in nation for anti-depressants).

There was also a study to discover the influence of religion on health.
The conclusion was that those who were either not religiously involved at all & those who were extremely involved did worse, health wise. Those who were casually involved did best.
I think this might reflect the need of community support as well as hope, like the placebo effect.

momtoallkids

PF Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2012
agawam,ma
ok while i wont mention my religion becasue it may cause a stir, i have been to mormon churches when i was younger with my friend and her mom. i was seriously spooked. the people there were like obsessed with pleasing the guy in charge. like cattle to the slaughter! it was creepy. then to make it worse (in my opinion. i was like 12 at the time) they had this baptismal room that i swear to you looked like a water torture chamber with a viewing window. the things that they taught and tried to instill seemed to go against the teachings that their own book set out. i never went back.
as for keeping your kids protected from it.... stop them from going. who cares what the neighbors think. you are the parent. if you feel it is harmful(imo it would be) then dont put them in harms way.