I currently have a child in my house with a manual on his arm...

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Im not kidding, he has a temporary tattoo on his arm that reads:

My name is *first name* *last name*
My Mum's name is *name* and her number is *number*
My Dad's name is *name* and his number is *number*
I do not have any food allergies however I do not like to eat beetroot, multigrain bread, mushrooms or salami.
If I fall over I am okay to have a band aid, but please call a parent to inform them of my accident.
If I am given any lollies please get me to use the mouthwash in my bag.
I am not to be left unsupervised.
Please do not let me on a trampoline, bike, scooter, skateboard or roller skates.
Please do not allow me to use a swimming pool without the consent of my parents.
Please do not photograph me without my parent's permission.

No joke, this is all the way down his arm. I dont even know who he is, other than one of Sash's friends from kinder, and he comes with a manual on his arm.

Is this a thing that ive missed? How do you even get a temporary tattoo printed up like that? And for it to be that big too.

Id take a photo of it, but the manual says I cant.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Id take a photo of it, but the manual says I cant
haha.

Honestly, I've never seen anything like that. We have temporary tattoo's for our son Billy but that's only because he has Type 1 diabetes and he is in the phase where he absolutely refuses to wear Medical Alert bracelets or necklaces. But even those don't go all the way up his arm. And he doesn't wear one all the time, only when he's playing baseball or if he is at school (sometimes). If he is at a friends house (and the parents know he has diabetes) we really don't bother with it...and he has a cell phone.

IMHO I think this kids temporary tattoo is hilarious.

nwcrazy

PF Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2011
It's okay to point out medical conditions and contact info. But to have a kid wear an instruction set comparable to a government form is going waaaaaay overboard. It says more about the parents than anything else.

My feeling is that if parents are soooo worried about letting their kids out of their sight they should keep them at home. Or, they need to stick around with their child.

Can you image if every parent went overboard, we'd have rooms full of walking instructions that nobody can sanely follow? IMO, parents need to keep things simple and ONLY stress pertinent info.

Last edited:

GavinH

PF Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2011
Fort Mill, SC
I recently took my kids to Disney in Florida and there was a vendor offering temporary tattoos with "I belong to xxxxxx call (999)999-9999". This is great for locations like that where kids getting separated from parents is routine.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
^^^ thats clever, I wouldnt mind putting a contact number on Sash, he's always wandering off.

I asked his mother about it when she came to pick him up, she said "you can order anything over the internet" ...well aint that the truth, haha.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
cybele said:
My name is *first name* *last name*
My Mum's name is *name* and her number is *number*
My Dad's name is *name* and his number is *number*
I do not have any food allergies however I do not like to eat beetroot, multigrain bread, mushrooms or salami.
If I fall over I am okay to have a band aid, but please call a parent to inform them of my accident.
If I am given any lollies please get me to use the mouthwash in my bag.
I am not to be left unsupervised.
Please do not let me on a trampoline, bike, scooter, skateboard or roller skates.
Please do not allow me to use a swimming pool without the consent of my parents.
Please do not photograph me without my parent's permission.
Wow. Mouthwash after every lolly? No bike, roller skates or trampoline? Call the parents if he needs a band aid? And I thought I was overprotective :rolleyes:

Do these people seriously expect their kid to never scuff his knees? :confused:

On a different note - My DD has a bracelet with her name, my name and my cell number that she wears when we go to places where I think she might get lost. Lasts a bit longer that a temporary tattoo :)

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I didnt let him outside, the manual actually scared me, and we have a trampoline, bikes, scooters, skateboards, even things that werent on the list, like a plastic horse on wheels, and a tyre swing on a tree. I wasnt risking that kid going in my backyard.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Did he come encased in his own bubble wrap or where you to provide this....(I shudder to think where one might find the "appendices...")

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
oh, and how old school of them to have it all written out...apparently you can get it in a QR code now...http://www.safetytat.com/qr/
(I'm not endorsing this product or anything, just stumbled upon it in response to this thread.)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
okay, last response, I promise, sorry, I just can't get over this one..."

So, they let their kid come over, without even meeting you? So I'm confused they are or they aren't concerned about their child's safety and welfare...I'm sorry, I wouldn't let me kindergartner go anyplace without me without at least meeting the parents.

and last - so, I gather there are circumstances under which they might allow swimming, but apparently anything with wheels or the ability to jump is out of the question... I probably would have hosted the first annual "scissors relay"....(not really but I can be pedantic...)

#2. - I initially thought it said "Mamal" not "Manual..." still getting used to this correction...

#3 - I thought the gemneral child safety advice was not to put you child's name on things, because predators can use such information to trick kids into thinking they are someone trusted....

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Youre right, didnt know me from a bar of soap, other than "Sasha is my friend at kindergarten and his Mum said I can go to his house and play" I had one phone conversation with this woman, giving her our address, no details about the child.

Ive heard the thing about names too.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
BabyAngel said:
I think I would have covered him in bandaids... just for the heck of it ! :D
LOL. I'd be tempted to do that to. Just for giggles. :D

The name thing - it makes sense to not put your kids name in large letters on a backpack, or some other place where creeps can read it without the kid noticing. Surely a temporary tat or a bracelet won't have the same danger, since the guy will have to approach the kid and read it before he knows their name? So the whole "pretending to know the kid" thing won't be nearly as easy to do...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
sounds kinda cool. wish my wife would have had one of those before we got married.

But seriously it would be neat to get something like that for when we take dd places.

momtoallkids

PF Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2012
agawam,ma
wow. now i feel like a bad parent. none of my kids carry any type of id or contact info lol. im pretty sure that no matter where they go people will figure out whos kids they are. "oh those wierd kids must belong to THAT mom" i know the whole neighborhood knows who my kids belong to. especially my 10yo who, as of this year, has decided to be more independant and walk home with his friends. no matter how many times he walks home, if he decideds to do it alone, he occationally ends up getting dropped off by one of the highschool kids or one of his classmates moms because he made a wrong turn and got lost. (mind you it is a straight line from the store where he goes after school to home)no matter where he ends up everyone knows where he belongs. lol i got him a cell phone to prevent this from happening. if his friends arnt there he calls and i pick him up now.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Wow that's interesting, I never saw one.

I don't think it's a good idea, I can see if the child has an illness, or special needs, but for a regular healthy kid, I think it will just cause other kids to make fun of him.

I know if that child came to my house I'd worry about him getting hurt more than I would normally with other children. (figuring the parents are looking for something to freak out about)

No, I was insistent on meeting my son's friend's parents and let me tell you it was a big deal to try to get hold of one, most of them just dropped their kids off, honest. I use to run out the door to catch them, and they were gone.

If I met more than 5 parents through out his school years that was a lot. It didn't work that way with me, I would never drop him off with out meeting at least one of them.

And if I didn't feel good about them I took him right back home.

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
If one of my kids was out at someone else's house and a parent called to tell me that they'd scraped their knee and needed a band-aid, I'd be thinking "And you felt you needed to inform me of this because ...?"

Sounds like the parents have some issues that they're keen to pass on to their kid.

jack123

PF Enthusiast
May 9, 2012
This manual on the arm thing is strange and i haven't heard of it before. Why would there be soo many instructions on a childs arm. There could be some allergy details or something that is absolutely necessary. But this thing, i find it funny and i have never heard of something like this before.