I feel sick......

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Was going to post this in parenting headlines, but wanted some opinions, so figured I would post it in the debate section.

What would you do in this case? What should be done with the 7 year old? Sure the 7 year old may have some serious issues, but I'm doubting the child meant to kill the baby. All the same though, the baby is dead, and what is to be done?

<SIZE size="125"> day care center</SIZE>
7-year-old says she threw child to floor</SIZE>[/FONT]
<SIZE size="125">Saturday, June 07, 2008</SIZE>
<SIZE size="125"> Post-Gazette</SIZE>

<SIZE size="125"> day care center yesterday.</SIZE>

<SIZE size="125">. An autopsy is planned for this morning.</SIZE>

Police said a 7-year-old girl -- the granddaughter of the day care operator -- had taken Marcia from her baby seat and threw her on the carpeted cement basement floor at least twice.</SIZE>[/FONT]

At the time of the incident, a 20-year-old day care provider in charge was upstairs changing the diaper of one of the other children, briefly leaving four children alone. The children ranged in age from 10 months to 7 years old.</SIZE>[/FONT]

The day care provider told police she heard a noise while upstairs and went to check on the children. When she got to the basement, she noticed Marcia had been moved from her baby seat to a love seat. She called 911 once she noticed that Marcia was unresponsive and had blood near her ears.</SIZE>[/FONT]

Police say the unidentified 7-year-old acknowledged throwing Marcia to the floor during an interview conducted by a Children's Hospital advocate. It has not been determined whether the 7-year-old will return home or be placed in a facility monitored by Children, Youth and Families.</SIZE>[/FONT]

"I've never come across a situation like this where a 7-year-old is the focus of our investigation," said Lt. Daniel Herrmann of the city's major crimes division.</SIZE>[/FONT]
"What do you do with a 7-year-old? You don't throw them in jail. You don't arrest them."</SIZE>[/FONT]

Late last night, the child and her grandmother were still at police headquarters, with staff from Children, Youth and Families and Children's Hospital.</SIZE>[/FONT]
"The child shows no impact of what she did, but will it come to her in the middle of the night?" Lt. Herrmann wondered.</SIZE>[/FONT]

Bray's is a registered family child day care home, licensed by the state Department of Public Welfare, to provide day care for up to six children, infant to 12 years of age. The property is owned by Ms. Bray, according to police.</SIZE>[/FONT]
Ms. Bray could not be reached for comment. </SIZE>[/FONT]

<SIZE size="125"><I>Correction/Clarification: (Published </I><I>June 8, 2008</I><I>) Loretta Bray owns the </I><I>Dearborn Street</I><I> property that houses a day care center where a 10-month-old was fatally injured </I><I>June 6, 2008</I><I>. This story as originally published </I><I>June 7, 2008</I><I> had an incorrect owner.</I></SIZE>

<SIZE size="125">http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08159/888214-53.stm</SIZE>View attachment 20080607hobaby_330.jpg

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I think the day care should be held accountable. I think the seven year old should go through couseling or classed on how to handle her/his anger.
This is why there should always be adult supervision at ALL times.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I've read child care facility inspection reports locally and it is a violation to leave any children unattended at any time.

Children have yet to develop the conscience that adults have and things like this can easily happen without them realizing the magnatude of it.

This is a horrible and tragic story, it breaks my heart.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
I agree that the day care worker should be held accountable.

I also think that although the seven year old might not have known death would occur from her actions they are in definite need of counseling and tight supervision. Children should develop a sense of right and wrong at a very early age when it comes to inflicting pain on others and themselves. They might not have known it was killing the baby but they had to have been well aware of the fact that it was hurting her.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Good Wolf said:
I also think that although the seven year old might not have known death would occur from her actions they are in definite need of counseling and tight supervision.
Totally agree.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Well, the day care provider who left the children unattended should be held accountable. Those children, ALL of them, are under her care. If something happens she or the daycare would have to take the fall for it. Especially when she left them alone to change a diaper. Do they not have change tables in every room? Like does that not make sense??

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
A 7 yo should know that throwing a baby onto a concrete floor - twice - is wrong and will hurt the baby. I hope she gets a complete evaluation by a child psychiatrist and a developmental pediatrician to rule out any problem that could explain her behavior. If such a thing exists, the next question to me was whether the day care provided knew or should have known that the 7 yo was troubled and shouldn't have been anywhere near young children.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
Yep, and that brings up the parent's responsibility. Did they know their child was prone to violence? Did they play a part in making her prone to voilence?

A full investigation of everyone involved is needed and knowing what we do about 'the system' it probably won't happen.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Good Wolf said:
Yep, and that brings up the parent's responsibility. Did they know their child was prone to violence? Did they play a part in making her prone to voilence?
Strangely enough, I believe I read the 7 year old is the grandchild of the day care owner. :(

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
oh man I guess grandma didnt explain the baby was alive and not a doll. Who inthe world when watching 7 year olds and younger even takes time to go the bathroom. Not me not with that many. I sure wouldnt go upstairs to change a diaper when it could be done downstairs.
Twice?
twice while she was upstairs or it happened once before?
If it happened once before OH man that woman so neglected those kids. I wuld never ever leave my lil girl who has anger issues and communication problems with someones dog. Never ever would I leave her alone with an infant. heck I never ever leave an infant. When i am watching someones baby they are ALWAYS in my sight. I am paranoid with babys. have to see if they are breathing. I dont know I am bit wierd but even with someone elses baby I have to hold them trust me if there was more than one baby both car seats would be right there next to me wear i could touch them coo to them and watch them breath.
* baby stalker *( only when babysitting though so no panicking hehe)

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
As a former day care worker, I say the day care needs to be held responsible. Children are NEVER supposed to be left alone, period. The average 7 year old should have known that throwing a baby to the floor was not a good idea....I would say this girl needs some counseling and needs to be CLOSELY supervised when/if she's allowed to be around other children.

survivor

Jun 11, 2008
Surely the girl showed signs of aggression towards the infant before the situation happened. My daughter is 6 and knows that doing something like that is harmful. I know a 7 year old is not able to comprehend death like adults, but intentions of hurting the infant is very clear. If you watch children playing with dolls, they are not real careful, but to cause that kind of damage is pretty extreme.

I have a feeling they will not have a day care license for much longer if they even still do.