I need some help? Family member is pregnant.....

Eyrothath

Nov 11, 2008
The story: Well, my cousin, who is 14 years old was dropped off about a year ago at my door step by her dad, and he is missing, we don't know where he is at. So my sister, her boyfriend, my cousin and my girlfriend and I all live under one house, I am 22 years old, my parents retired and move out-of-state to some place nice. Our house is fully paid off and we don't have any financial problems, we're all managers at grocery stores and make lots of money, more than enough to raise a child. Anyways, so my cousin decided to get pregnant, she told us after a few weeks, I am not angry at her, I haven't really been paying enough attention to her, none of us have, and we are the ones at fault, her uncle dropped her off at my house so we could raise her. I kind of let her run wild. I know the father of the un-born child very well, he is the brother of my sister's boyfriend, my cousin and him are the same age, and we have already told his parents, and they are willing to raise this child.

I am letting my cousin make the decision of wether she wants to have a abortion, keep the child or give it up for adoption.

The thing where my sister and I went wrong with our cousin, we aren't parents, she's living with us, we're buying her everything she needs, but we wern't trying to raise her like a daughter or something, I mean, she's my cousin, and she is in a house of young adults, I am her brother figure, and we never planned to take care of her, but I love her, and that's why she is still here in the house. I was never strict on her enough I suppose, which is why this happened, I am still not really strict on her, and neither is anyone else.

I look at it this way, I will help raise this child, if she wishes to keep it.. I will have no choice. It was my fault she's pregnant. I also went down to the courts, through the legal system and became her legal guardian, which is why I feel this was my mistake..

On the issue of abortion, life begins at conception though, that means a fetus is a life and has a right to life.. I think when a abortionist performs a abortion though, he is committing a crime and can be sued. I don't look at it as much of a moral, I don't look at it as morally right or wrong, but a political one, is it constitutional or not?.. In cause in the constitution, you can what you wish with your body if you aren't harming anyone.. In this case, you're harming an unborn child.. I am against victimless laws and crimes though, which is why I am not upset at this situation, I want everyone to have freedom of choice, I am not really an anarchist but I am a libertarian/conservative, and I believe in a free society, I won't impose my beliefs on her though.

I wasn't really upset or angry or anything when she told me she was pregnant, I was kind of shocked and I said.. "Oh who's the father?" What would a father do in this case? Cause me not being upset, I am not sure if that is normal or not, am I acting how I should? Should I put my foot down?

Money shouldn't be an issue either, I even have an extra empty room in the house, it is a full-paid off house and I have more money than I know what to do with it, I come from a wealthy family..

As far as school goes, she has one or two more years to go, I sent her to the same high school I went to, it is a charter school she would only have to go to 20 hours a week, it isn't a school with a lot of rules and non-sense, it is opened from 8 AM - 8 PM and available on Saturdays.. They also have at home courses that people can take.. It is kind of like working out of a library..

So, that's my issue, kinda lost right now... :(

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well... it looks like it is what it is, really. I feel a bit bad for you in a way. I'm really glad you guys are so financially well off. However, being 14, I'm having doubts as to whether or not she can just "be a mom" like bam you know? Most kids that have babies that age that I have known, their parents raise the kid. That's what I'm worried over for you. You're going to be stuck with the responsibility, I can <I>almost </I>guarantee it. I know some 19 year olds with kids that their parents are raising because it's too much work and it ties you down too much for you to want to do it at that age. It is NOT going to be easy, that's all I can say. It's just sad that you're going to have to do all the exausting work of raising someone else's baby before you and your girlfriend ever even got the chance to decide you wanted to have your OWN baby. That sucks, you know? It denies you the chance to decide if you want to do it, and it's not even yours. :(

I would let her do what she wants, but share your views on abortion with her anyway just so she knows every last detail about it. IMO I would show her some google pictures of what abortion looks like :) . And ask her if she thinks its cool after that. (I know you didn't say she wanted one, just saying... if she does). I mean, this isn't rape. She went out of her way to have sex, with the knowelege that sex makes babies. Oh well!

It's not fair that you had to be forced into taking care of a kid that was turning into a teenager. It's not easy to tell them what's right and wrong, and it's also time consuming and mentally draining to try and keep tabs on them, so I can see how this happened. I wish for her sake that it hadn't though, she really shouldn't even be having sex at a tender age like 14... I mean wow. I lost my virginity at 16, and I figured I was pretty young. Not that I don't know of any girls that have sex or get pregnant even younger than 14. Just saying.

I mean it sounds awful to me. Hell I started my period when I was either 12/13! Pregnant at 14???? Ugh.

Good luck because this wont be easy. :p

TAR

PF Fanatic
May 30, 2007
NM
I hope all works out for you. Your going to have to let her decided what she is going to do, thats the right thing to do anyway. I wish her the best of luck, I was pregnant at a young age (15 with my angel who I hold in my heart) I would have been a great mom even that young, but God I guess had a different plan for me at that time. I don't think you really should act like a foot down dad figure, but I think you should support her no matter what her decision is and just be there for her.